Murky Water Won’t Settle

1. s

sullivanbay94 Valued Member Member

I started a new tank with seachem black sand, rinsed repeatedly and my water still looks like this 24 hours later.. what do I do!???

Attached Files:

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

100% water change to start. Refill very carefully/slowly.

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You may also want to put that substrate back in a bucket and agitate it severely with your hands, drain the water slowly and repeat until the rincing water comes out clear...even if it takes 20 rinces.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It’s dust. I think the easiest way would be to stuff your filter with Poly-fil and that will gather all the dust up, most of it at least. It will take a few hours.

You can also do a water change with the poly-fil in the hob to make it go just a little faster but you will need the HOB to do its thing.

Whenever you refill the tank, especially with messy substrate like this you can use a colander to help disperse the water so it’s not disturbing your soil.

5. OP
    OP
    s

This is after 100% water change and removing all sand and rinsing about 20 times again.. the water is slightly clearer you can make out the bowl that I was using to slowly put the water back into the tank... I have emptied and filled this tank 3 times now. I’m at a loss for what to do right now.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    s

This is after 100% water change and removing all sand and rinsing about 20 times again.. the water is slightly clearer you can make out the bowl that I was using to slowly put the water back into the tank... I have emptied and filled this tank 3 times now. I’m at a loss for what to do right now.

7. OP
    OP
    s

Attached Files:

8. finnipper59

Now it's up to the filtration and settlement of the debris. Be prepared for bacterial cloudiness too since it's a new tank. Once you add your ammonia suppliment, there will be an explosion of bacteria growth, but that will clear up in a few days as the bacteria colonize.

9. finnipper59

The person that suggested stuffing your filter with polyfil also had a good idea. I also suggest that you get a product called Aqueon water clarifier. But will the tank first without using water conditioner. It interferes with the clarifier and you don't have livestock in there to worry about chlorine or other chemicals. Use the clarifier for 48 hours to clear your tank. Then you can add water conditioner to get rid of chlorine and chloramine, and after about an hour after that, add your ammonia suppliment so the bacteria can start to grow.

10. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

If you are impatient (like me) and feel like some more elbow grease, this is how I rinse all my sand. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Get your water hose and stick it in there and leave it there. Rinse and constantly stir, let water over flow the bucket, sometimes dump out excess water and repeat, until all the water you are dumping is crystal clear. At this point, anything that would get stirred up by filling the tank would have been washed out.

11. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you, if filled the tank all the way up, added my plants and have the filter going. Hopefully in clears up a little more in the next few days and then I will try this products