Murky tank water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Justkeepswimming01, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Justkeepswimming01

Justkeepswimming01 Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone, I just started cycling a 10 gallon. I ordered the filter (Tetra power 20 Gal) and had the water sitting for a little while because I couldn't figure out what was making the grinding noise ( I fixed it). I added fish food and a small peice of shrimp in two days ago but now the water is SUPER murky and gross. Am I supposed to do a water change or just wait it out?
    There isn't any ammonia in the tank yet either I tested it this morning.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

Is the murkiness a milky cloudiness? If so, it's probably a bacteria bloom which is very common when starting a tank. It should go away on its own so I would just wait it out.

Fish food/shrimp as an ammonia source takes longer to break down which is why you don't see ammonia yet. If possible, I would use pure ammonia instead of fish food/shrimp. It's much faster and easier to control the amount of ammonia you are adding to the tank. What test kit are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

No it's not a milk cloudiness it just looks dirty, I'll try to get a picture for you. I have the API Master test kit.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of substrate do you have? Did you rinse it well before adding it? Am I right that your filter is a HOB style with the waterfall outflow? I had this problem in a tank with sand substrate. I finally had to switch to a different type of filter to avoid kicking up stuff in the substrate and making the water cloudy.

5. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

I just used the big stone things you can get at the dollar store (they came with the tank) I rinsed them well for a few days leading up to setting up the tank. Yes it's an HOB.

6. el337

It could be the fish food and/or the shrimp then.

7. Aquaphobia

Any plants in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

No the only thing in the tank currently is the substrate. I was going to put in a moss ball but I didn't want it to mess with the cycle at all . So if it's the food should I change the water or just let it be?

9. el337

10. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality, everyone on my house is still asleep! I'll get better ones when I can turn on the light lol.

I also just retested the ammonia in the tank and it's at about a 1.0
    [​IMG]
    I can try to get to the fish store today but I'm not sure I'll be able to, most of my family thinks cycling is tossing fish in the tank and waiting. I just found out about all of this by googling a lot of fish questions lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  11. Aquaphobia

I would do a small water change to keep the ammonia around 1ppm and just keep going. When you've built up nitrifying bacteria in your filter media they should take care of the wastes and then there won't be any food left for the free-floating ones that cause murkiness. Are you turning the lights on during the day?

12. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

This tank currently doesn't have a light. It came with an old lid with a light that was hanging off (so no way I was putting that in) I'm looking for a lid that will have enough space for the HOB filter to fit in there.

[​IMG]

Here's a better picture

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  13. Aquaphobia

Ok, so that pretty much rules out algae:)

You can buy glass lids fairly cheaply. They're usually hinged with a separate plastic strip along one edge that can be cut to accommodate filters and heaters and such.

14. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

Oh cool I never thought of those! As far as stocking goes I was just gonna put in one Male betta with a peppered Cory catfish. Do you guys think that would work well for the 10 Gal?

15. el337

Not the peppered cory. They're a shoaling fish and need to be in a group of at least 6+. They also have much cooler temp requirements than a betta. They like it under 72 while the betta needs it around 78.

16. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

Do you have any recommendations for stocking the tank? I don't want to do snails. I've thought about shrimp but I don't know much about them .

17. Aquaphobia

If you plant the tank heavily enough you could try adding RCS or ghost shrimp. Also snails! I personally like the smaller, "pest" snails like ramshorns but a Mystery or two would be nice as long as the betta doesn't take to nipping its antennae!

18. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

I was toying with the idea of male guppies but I'm not sure how many would fit in the tank. I've been researching stocking for 10 gals. Because I know there isn't much you can fit in them lol

19. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

if you like guppies than maybe you could get endlers, they're smaller so you could fit more in a ten gallon than you could with guppies.

20. OP
    OP
    Justkeepswimming01

Ill do some research in those I've never had them. Thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice