Murder Thirsty Ghost Shrimp!

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Bek, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

I got ghost shrimp a couple days ago, they only had 3, so I got all 3. They were fine and happy but i wanted just a few more.
    Then went to another petco the other day and got 3 more.
    They're neat and fun to watch, and my tank had grown lots of moss and my plants came with insects that were killing them so it seemed like a good fix.
    This morning I turned the lights on and one was on the other! I immediately thought it was hurting the other one, but wondered....maybe they're reproducing??
    But nope, I have a murderous ghost shrimp. He got 3 of them. The survivors are in my 2.5gal now instead.
    So, im wondering...

Is this normal behavior?
    Do I have to worry about this with blue velvet shrimp?
    What do I do with the bully shrimp? Maybe give him back to petco? He was fine in their tank im guessing. Evil little cannibal.

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

You most likely have a whisker shrimp which are more aggressive than ghost shrimps and have been known to kill fish. Glass shrimp are somewhat commonly sold at big chain pet stores as ghost shrimps

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Aww is there a difference in the shape of their bodies or anything so I can tell? I wouldnt want them eating any colorful shrimp I eventually get

4. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Here's the meanie eating an already headless glass/ghost shrimp :/

Attached Files:

5. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I think he would get a death sentence in my tank. Unfortunately

6. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

I certainly can't keep him, and I dont know that petco wants him back...hes 49 cents and might attack more...err flushing? Is that cruel?
    I dont want him suffering if i dont return him

7. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe they have a longer claw

8. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

It could also have been that new ghost shrimp you added were already dying/diseased and the ghost shrimp was just eating the dead body. Ghost and whisker shrimp (larger sometimes confused species) could in theory kill another shrimp, but it would have to be very rare to be able to catch a healthy shrimp. Let alone 3 in a row, odds are something else is going on.

9. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

One was super teeny tiny, but yeah the others were normal sized. Maybe I got sick shrimp and the survivors are my first bunch of shrimp. Though that'd mean that maybe theres one I didnt catch in my 10 gal (entirely possible, my water has major bacteria bloom)

10. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

I looked idk, none of them really even have anything I'd consider a claw, they just look like sad twig-like bug arms to me
    Hes definitely bigger than all the others

11. OP
    OP
    Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Only one dead though, (the one i cought the big guy eating)
    I dont know what i fished out earlier that looked like a fish tail then, because that was before the victim got its head eaten

So does that mean
    It killed a sick shrimp or he (bully) is not a ghost
    Maybe both?
    Unsafe with other shrimp and a betta still, you think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice