Mummichog

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey all,

I decided I'd share some photos of what I've Identified as Mummichog.
My girlfriend and I went fishing in the salt marshes by Seabrook, NH recently and after not catching anything... (darn striped bass, I will catch one some day.) We decided to do some exploring. She ended up finding a pool that sits right around the high tide mark full of these little critters.
If I am correct about the identification then apparently they are a type of brackish killi and were the first fish in space. Very cool looking fish.

It would be pretty neat to set up a brackish tank with these one day. A little bit of reading indicates that they can go full fresh to brackish to full salt and that they are equipped for faster transitions than other fish due to the way that their bodies handle salt uptake.
20180520_082246.jpg
20180520_082251.jpg
20180520_082244.jpg
20180520_082242.jpg

Side note: this may be a bit silly as I've been a member of the forum for a while but I have no idea how to do the alert thingy where someone is alerted to you wanting them to see a post. I'd be interested in what chromedome has to say about my identification (maybe it's a banded killi not a mummichog?) So if someone comes along that knows how to do that, it would be much appreciated.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just use the 'at' symbol and the user's name.
Eg. chromedome52 (there, I tagged him for you!)
As you start typing, the browser/app will give you predictive text dropdown to choose names that match what you're entering.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bitseriously said:
Just use the 'at' symbol and the user's name.
Eg. chromedome52 (there, I tagged him for you!)
As you start typing, the browser/app will give you predictive text dropdown to choose names that match what you're entering.
Thanks! It's funny how sometimes I feel tech savvy as all get out and other times I feel down right daft.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, it is definitely a male Mummichog, Fundulus heteroclitus. Females lack the yellow color and spangling. They have a very large range, covering pretty much the entire east coast. If you want to keep them, I'd recommend a fairly large tank, as I have caught males over 5 inches in length. I found them in brackish tidal areas, but they will adapt to hard freshwater or even full seawater. Fish straight from the wild will eat anything, as that is what they do naturally!

FYI, the Banded Killifish, Fundulus diaphanus, is a strictly freshwater species, found in small lakes.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So not a bad ID then, Sweet!
I mentioned the banded killi because Wikipedia mentioned that the two are often confused and even mentioned hybrids. (Although I of course take Wikipedia's info with a grain of aquarium salt)
I'll add them to the list of tanks I dream of owning one day.
Need a house first, darned apartment insists that one 75 gallon is enough and it was hard enough to find one that even allowed that.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To me the two species are vastly different, but I suppose a lot of people don't have the experience to see the differences. The source for the hybrid information is from 1943, but I am familiar with the author, and if he wrote that it happened, I would not doubt it. Since the Mummichog is capable of entering freshwater, it is possible that the two species could meet.

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fish are absolutely amazing and it's astonishing to me when people (friends) see a tetra as a tetra, a minnow as a minnow, a sunfish as a sunfish, etc.
But then I remember before I got into fishkeeping I too was clueless.
When you really embrace a hobby it's amazing how much you can learn and how much you realize that you still don't know.
I can't even imagine the level of passion you must have for all things fish and hope that one day I can become that knowledgeable.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Interesting. I never knew they can adapt to freshwater. I always thought it was only brackish and salt as they're a popular live bait for Summer Flounder in estauries, bays, and, to a lesser extent, the ocean.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fun fact: Mummichogs are the first (and only) fish to go to space.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom