Multis with Brichardi?

Aquashrimp42

I am going to try to provide a little backstory for the question. I got 5 multis for my 55-gallon tank and they have been doing great. I have since determined that I likely only have one female and have had 3 fry in the last 6 months. Soon after adding the cichlids, I had added a group of hatchetfish and forest halfbeaks. They all did great and stayed in their respective locations in the tank. Two weeks ago I added a group of 9 guppies and 6 longfin blue danios to act as a slightly more middle tank occupier. One of the guppies had ick and decimated my population of top-dwelling fish. I am still handling the outbreak. I have only 3 guppies left with numbers still dropping and the danios are down to 5 with one showing not looking great. The disease has wiped out all but one halfbeak and hatchetfish. I am treating the tank. I have had no aggression issues with multis killing or causing injury to the other fish.

So with my numbers declining of the non-multi fish I am starting to look at possible tankmates and routes for the tank.

Brichardi are one of the options I am looking at. Does anyone have experience with them and multifasciatus in a tank together?

jkkgron2

I don’t have any experience keeping N. Brichardi and multis together but you could look into a species only multi breeding tank. In my area at least they sell for a lot and IME shell dwellers are very easy and fun to breed.

After a quick google search it looks like you can keep brichardi and multis together, but you will need to be careful about how you place the shells. You’ll want a group of shells on each side of the tank, with something to break up the line of sight. Otherwise you’ll probably have territory issues where the brichardi or multis start stealing the other species territory.

Upvote 0

Aquashrimp42

With the one female a species only breeding tank is a little difficult to accomplish especially because multis are so hard to find around here to get a larger colony to start with. I have a few ideas on how to set the tank up but I was wondering how much aggression should be expected and if breeding is still possible with a tank like that. I don't think the brichardi should have any issues but I don't know about the multies and if they would keep their fry in their shell enough for survival.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

With the one female a species only breeding tank is a little difficult to accomplish especially because multis are so hard to find around here to get a larger colony to start with. I have a few ideas on how to set the tank up but I was wondering how much aggression should be expected and if breeding is still possible with a tank like that. I don't think the brichardi should have any issues but I don't know about the multies and if they would keep their fry in their shell enough for survival.
Yeah if more multis are hard to get I don’t think a breeding tank is the best idea. I think it’s possible for the fry to survive, but only if the brichardi have territory far away from the multis. Might be a good idea to add in some huge rocks in the center to break up the line of sight also. The brichardi would have a harder time eating the fry if they can’t see where they are.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
Leeman75
  • Question
Replies
Views
Miyyaro