Multiple Tank Stocking?

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi people of fishlore!
I have three tanks that need stocking
all tanks are lightly planted, healthy, cycled tanks.

"discus tank" 75 gallon
3 discus (more incoming)
2 dwarf gourami,
1 guppy (not even sure how this happened)
1 baby bristle nose pleco
2 rummy nose tetras (i need more, i know. still trying to find them locally)

for this tank, I'm looking for some fun schooling fish that will get along well with others, and can handle an 80 degree tank. so far everything in there is doing well with the temp, its been running for about 1.5 years now.

Nano tank- 10 gallon
7 ember tetras (SO cute it kills me)
3 pearl danios
3 gold stripe tetras ( i think??)
I know thats kinda pushing it for stocking, but i need more color... I'm thinking maybe a neon tetra or five?

Predator tank- 100 gallons (FOR NOW. 400 gallon tank in the works, and I'm very excited/ scared to see the bill)
alright so this tank, I know I'm playing with fire. But it is what it is and I never claimed to be smart.
4.5 ish inch silver ariana (his name is noodle and he is perfect)
3.5 ish inch black and white Bichir (if anybody has a real name that would be appreciated. looks like cookies and cream ice cream)
I know this tank isn't going to be easy to work with but I would like to get everything in there to get aquatinted before they're old enough to swallow each other whole.

Just wondering what everybodys opinions are as to fishies to add to the tanks.
Thanks in advance.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You already have stocking issues with your 75 gallon as well as multiple issues with your 10 gallon.

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
...and those issues are? Because so far everybody is cool. And it’s been like this for a while. But I’d like to hear them.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have stocking issues that I would fix before adding more fish. We can help you if you're interested

EDIT: Just saw your reply.

How many more discus are you adding?

What size are your current discus, and what size are the new ones?

How often are you feeding and doing water changes?

I would rehome both dwarf gouramis - they can't handle the really warm water needed by the discus. Additionally, male dwarf gouramis shouldn't be kept together - they'll fight, often to the death.

The BN pleco need cooler water as well, so I'd rehome him too. I'd rehome the guppy, adult discus might eat him.

80 F is a little low for the discus - I'd consider increasing it to 84 F or so (if they're juvies) or 82 F (if they're adults).

For the 10 gal - pearl danios and gold strip tetras should be in a larger group, but you don't have room for them in this tank, since you already have a school of embers. I'd rehome the danios and the gold stripes. Don't add neons - you don't have room for another schooling species. If you wanted more color, you could add a few male endlers or put the guppy from the 75 gal in here.

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
You have stocking issues that I would fix before adding more fish. We can help you if you're interested

Please

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
75g:BN Plecos prefer cooler water, and of course you need more Rummynose and Discus. Personally, I wouldn't trust DGs with fish like Discus. The guppy is okay, but I would probably remove it. I would replace the BN Pleco with a Clown Pleco.
10g: For starters, it is already way overstocked. It's best to stick with one school of nano fish in a 10 gallon. Rehome the Gold Stripe Tetras and Pearl Danios. The stripe tetras need a larger tank. They and the CPDs also need larger groups. Definitely no more fish. You could add a few more Ember Tetras and/or 2-3 Asian Stone Catfish or replace the Ember Tetras with up to 11 more CPDs alone in the tank.

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can any of the fishies from the nano tank go in the 75 gallon?

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
while I appreciate everybody’s advice with the gouramis, I believe they will be staying, they get along great, and they have a great personality. Let me pet them, etc.
with the nano tank- I have another option.
Tank size upgrade. From a 10 to a 33. What I ultimately want is 3-4 more ember tetras, a total of 6-7 CPD, and a total of 6 gold stripes. And if I can swing it, some either zebra danios or some neon tetras. Is that unreasonable of a 33 gallon?
As far as discus, we’re talking currently 3 3.5 ish inch, and I’m adding probably 3-4 more of that same size.
Anybody have ideas on the arowana tank? Maybe a gar? Again size is getting an upgrade

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How often are you doing water changes in the discus tank?

Even though the DGs are getting along now, they likely won't in the long run, especially as you start to add more discus. They also will have a shortened lifespan at the higher temps needed by the discus - that's not really fair to them.

For tanks 48" and under, I wouldn't stock with more than two schooling species, so I think that plan is still too many species (so I would definitely not add more, like danios and neons). These fish really should be in larger groups too - you're hovering around the minimum, and more of their own species make them feel more comfortable.

Do you have CPD or pearl danios? They're different species.

I wouldn't add anything else to the predator tank until after you upgrade.

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
How often are you doing water changes in the discus tank?

Even though the DGs are getting along now, they likely won't in the long run, especially as you start to add more discus. They also will have a shortened lifespan at the higher temps needed by the discus - that's not really fair to them.

For tanks 48" and under, I wouldn't stock with more than two schooling species, so I think that plan is still too many species (so I would definitely not add more, like danios and neons). These fish really should be in larger groups too - you're hovering around the minimum, and more of their own species make them feel more comfortable.

Do you have CPD or pearl danios? They're different species.

I wouldn't add anything else to the predator tank until after you upgrade.
2-3 time a week.
I thought pearl, now I’m thinking otherwise based on google image. I’m not at home to confirm anything, from memory they’re silver with white dots? Possibly? With the 33 gallon and without adding zebras and danios but filling out my schools (minimum of 6 per species) is that going to be okay? For future reference, how many small fish per gallon?
Arowana tank-
When I upgrade, the aro will be bigger (obviously) is he going to be okay with me just sticking another fish in there willy nilly?

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Side question- silver dollars for the arowana tank? Also my aro has some red going on on the edges of his fins. Just a tiny shimmer of it. Is that normal?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd still wait until you move to the bigger tank before you start adding more fish. But SDs should be fine after you move. But no, not all fish would work with your aro. They are quick jumpers, so you don't want anything that will be aggressive to them. You also don't want to put anything small enough for them to eat.

The schooling minimum of 6 shouldn't apply to nano fish - they should really be in much larger groups as they're usually more timid and shy than bigger species. And there's no set rule of how many fish per gallon. As I mentioned, I think three schools is too many for tanks 48" and under, but you could do 15-25x embers and 15-25x CPDs (I promise you, larger schools are better than just keeping 6 of each) in the 33 gal long (rehome the stripe tetras). Let us know when you figure out if they're pearls or CPDs.

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I upgrade tanks, will a gar be okay?

Also- there’s NO way I can stick the gold stripe in with the discus? There’s plenty of space to hide and the discus still have very tiny mouths. Is it something that might be worth a try and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of gar?

I would not add any fish to your discus tank at the moment, outside of maybe rummynose so they're not so stressed. The fish you have are already incompatible, and lots of fish makes keeping their tank pristine difficult. You really should be doing daily water changes with them now, along with multiple feedings per day. Not doing this can stunt them and cause issues with diseases (yes, even with 2-3 water changes per week - for growing out juvenile discus like you have, that's not enough).

Tuesday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
What kind of gar?

I would not add any fish to your discus tank at the moment, outside of maybe rummynose so they're not so stressed. The fish you have are already incompatible, and lots of fish makes keeping their tank pristine difficult. You really should be doing daily water changes with them now, along with multiple feedings per day. Not doing this can stunt them and cause issues with diseases (yes, even with 2-3 water changes per week - for growing out juvenile discus like you have, that's not enough).
So IDEALLY, you’d recommend what? Getting rid of the gourami and guppy, and pleco?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, and the rummynose for now. Add more discus of the same size, do daily water changes of at least 50%, feed multiple times per day, and then add a school of rummynose when they are adults. When they are adult size, around 6", you can back off changes to 50-75% to around 3 times weekly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom