multiple tank filtration

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So with the prospect that i'll be setting up a rack with multiple tanks, likely will be doing 2 40 gallon breeder tanks alongside 4 10gs (this is still undecided). My question is, what is the best method to filter these tanks? I was thinking sponge filters on all tanks, possibly 2 sponge filters in the 40s (in case i put in dividers and also for more aeration) and chain them all into one or two high output air pumps?

Is there any other methods? I really dont want to have tons of HOB filters and cords going everywhere lol.

Is it possible to run a canister to multiple tanks? how would that work? I cant figure out the logistics unless the tanks were interconnected.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Jeta,
Check out harpua's fish room thread:

She's got an awesome setup of interconnected 20's (?) going on

If it were me, I'd also look at using some form of sump filtration, which might allow a larger volume of water to be filtered at any given time.

I'm not exactly sure how I'd run the input/output, but I'd look at taking from the last tank and returning to the first.

Check out harpua's setup, it should give you some good ideas

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not a fan of interconnected tanks. One gets a problem they all have a problem. If it were me I would probably use a canister filter on each of the 40's & then air driven sponge filters for each of the 10's run by a high output air pump.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 5.5s, 10s, and 20s running on sponge filters. The 40BR and a couple of the 20s use Aquaclear HOB filters. Nothing is interconnected. The tanks run by sponge filters are driven by a few large air pumps (Coralife Luft Pump, I can't remember the model number) and a bunch of gang valves. I would not suggest a sump filtration system unless you are getting into a marine fish only system (where you would need to medicate a lot as the fish come in from the wild with parasites, etc.).

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks for the help! I love that fishroom lol. I'm likely going to do the same thing, run multiple sponges and a few HOBs for the bigger tanks, possibly canisters if I get a good enough price. I've heard some really good reviews on the sunsun canisters (marineland design), so I may give them a try.

BigJoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if you wanted to interconnect the tanks I can think of a few ways to do it... some seem pretty cheap but as stated above that means that if somethng goes bad in 1 all go bad. I personnally would think individual filters would be best... if you don't want a bunch of cords everywhere you could always DIY some cord shortening and splicing to where thay would have less wires hanging but i wouldn't recomend it if you aren't good with electronics. well thats my 2 cents... hope it all goes well

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm going tomorrow morning to pick the tanks up, God is apparently shining on me at the moment because I had someone contact me with 8 HOT magnums for sale, they are rated for up to 50 gallon tanks. I would tell you guys the price but you would probably throw up a little. Will keep ya updated! Take care

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads