Multiple symtoms

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ruby, Mar 19, 2006.

1. RubyNew MemberMember

I have a bubble eye, a celestial and a beta that live together. They seemed to get along great, but now they are all sick. First, the goldfish got little white spots on their fins and i noticed that their fins seem to be shredding. I thought the Beta had attacked them. Come to find out my beta has two little white spots on his body as well. I have determined that it is Ick and went out and bought some medicine to help with it. I also purchased some medicine for the fin rot. Do they stand a chance? These are my first fish and i want them to be well. I also, noticed little hair- like particles on the inside of the tank wall. Is this Ick? Will it go away withthe treatment?
    Please help, I'm beginning to be a little discouraged.
    Also, my Bubble eye has popped one of his bubbles, will he be ok? He looks so pitiful swimming around with only one bubble.

:'( :-[ :(

2. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

First bettas are tropical fish and goldfish are coldwater fish, so if youhave a heater in there, the goldfish won't be happy and if you don't the betta wont be happy.

3. JasonWell Known MemberMember

They sound like they've got fin rot, the hair like particles are most probably algae.
    You'll need to medicate using a anti-fungas-finrot med and in the future will need to keep them seprate most probably as Bettas need warmer water and goldfish need cooler and even though they can survive they dont particularly do that well

4. RubyNew MemberMember

i bought some Ick medicine and their little whit spots are disappearing. i also bought some medicated stuff for the fin rot. i hope it works

5. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

yes first of all ich is a cold water disease. If you have cold water and tropical fish in together then probably they are all in trouble. the betta at least needs HEAT at least 78 - 80 degrees and now that ich is in your tank you need to turn the heat up to 85 degrees for at least 14 days to kill the parasite. The medication does not do it alone and when you quit treating with the medication the parasite is still in the water and will settle back on your fish. The finrot is also helped by heat and the same type of medications usually work well on the same principle, but most meds work best in water which is at least 82 degrees. (ich = 85 degrees) Bettas also need to have filtration and will have to live in a cycled tank with tested water (for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia). It also helps to run an airstone as Bettas have to have a clear surface so they can come to the surface to breathe through their labyrinth organ (it works like a lung and allows them to breathe air like we can). If they cannot get to the surface to do this they will die. (The airstone should be set to bubble VERY slowly - just to ruffle the surface a tiny bit) For fish that everyone says need almost nothing, bettas really do need a lot of care for really healthy and happy fish.

Rose
    :)

6. NeenNew MemberMember

I didn't know that! I am going to get an airstone. I noticed that my surface sometimes has a film on top. Bettas do need a lot of care but they are so beautiful to watch. Thanks for the info.

Gina

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Good advice on raising the temp, except that doing so would probably kill the Goldfish. I'm assuming the tank is unheated--if so, buy another 5-10 gallon tank for the Betta. Two problems with keeping Goldies and Bettas together: Bettas need a temp of 78-80 degrees F while Goldfish like room temp, and also Goldfish need Goldfish food and Bettas need Betta/Tropical Fish food, which are different nutritionally. If the Betta is in cold water, there is not much chance of him recovering.

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Yes, unfortunately that is true. They are Tropical fish and just cannot survive long out of heated and filtered water no matter what is printed about them. Just because they can survive some way for a short time does not mean that they will live that way for long.

Rose
    :'(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice