Multiple Snail Questions Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by peighton, Jun 28, 2019.

1. peighton

peightonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    Do assassin snails lay eggs the way nerites do?

Will assassin snails eat nerites or indo rabbit snails? I know they'll handle my pond snails which is why I want them.

I like nerites for the algae eating but I cannot handle the eggs anymore.
    are there snails that eat algae well like them but dont lay eggs?

If assassins aren't right for me, how do you guys handle pond snail explosions?

I have a tank with a betta, guppies, shrimp, nerites, and indo rabbit snails.

Thank you!

edit: do assassin snails eat each other or their young? and are their eggs easy to clean off unlike the nerite eggs?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. BusterBot28

BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    1 year
    My betta eats my pond snails. He will wait until they are big and eat them alive. I have three merited with my assassins and from what I have found the assassins eat only snails smaller then them and it is really cool when I have three types of snails in the same tank but the one is constantly being eaten(pond snails).

3. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +310
    Not sure about the rabbit snails, but nerites have a trap door that will prevent them from being eaten, though some say assasin snails are able to push through the trap door. I use mines for pond snails and they get the job done well. Assasin snails eggs are shaped like long sacs. As nerite snails get older they lay less eggs

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,131
    Experience:
    2 years
    From what i've read assassin snails will eat ALL snails eventually. Eventually your nerites will stop laying those white eggs and they will eventually disappear. If you put some lettuce or some other veggies in the tank u should be able to remove a big amount of the pond snails.

5. OP
    OP
    peighton

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm okay with them eating the nerites. I'll move my rabbit snails to my smaller tank. I just hate all the eggs, but if they're not typically snacking on nerites, I don't want more snails that are laying more eggs lol

6. OP
    OP
    peighton

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think mine were young then, they haven't slowed on the eggs. I have so many in my tank, they're laying eggs even on each others shells now.

7. OP
    OP
    peighton

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    I wish my betta would lol He's not big on anything except pellets. I can't get him to even eat blood worms. I actually want the assassins to eat my nerites, but I'll just ask my lfs if they'll take them back I guess, it seems like assassins arent the best for nerite culling.

8. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,131
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'de rehome the nerites and besides their eggs aren't that unappealing to look at and they don't reproduce in freshwater anyways.( i wish they did i'de have 100). After all look at all the work they did to help you keep your tank clean. You should give them a second chance.

9. OP
    OP
    peighton

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    Their eggs are super unappealing to me. I have no idea how I'm going to get their eggs of everything, I feel like my tank and wood is ruined. I'll ask my LFS if they want them back.

10. kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,131
    Experience:
    2 years
    To each their own i guess. I find em to make things look more natural but thats me. Hope your LFS takes them back good luck!

11. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,727
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have read that once the assassins clean up all the pest snails they will do their best to eat any other snail in the tank. They have been known to gang up on snails much bigger than themselves. I can't swear to that though. All I have had in my tanks are bladder and ramshorn.

Assassin snail eggs are very unobtrusive. I have bunches of assassins and have to really search for their eggs. My assassins did a fantastic job of getting rid of a ramshorm explosion in my big tank.

When I first started noticing the pest snails I just want them GONE. I have since gain a lot of respect for them. They are a great cleanup crew in small numbers.

No assassins don't eat their young or each other.