Multiple Snail Questions

peighton

Do assassin snails lay eggs the way nerites do?

Will assassin snails eat nerites or indo rabbit snails? I know they'll handle my pond snails which is why I want them.

I like nerites for the algae eating but I cannot handle the eggs anymore.
are there snails that eat algae well like them but don't lay eggs?

If assassins aren't right for me, how do you guys handle pond snail explosions?

I have a tank with a betta, guppies, shrimp, nerites, and indo rabbit snails.

Thank you!

edit: do assassin snails eat each other or their young? and are their eggs easy to clean off unlike the nerite eggs?

BusterBot28

peighton said:
Do assassin snails lay eggs the way nerites do?

Will assassin snails eat nerites or indo rabbit snails? I know they'll handle my pond snails which is why I want them.

I like nerites for the algae eating but I cannot handle the eggs anymore.
are there snails that eat algae well like them but don't lay eggs?

If assassins aren't right for me, how do you guys handle pond snail explosions?

I have a tank with a betta, guppies, shrimp, nerites, and indo rabbit snails.

Thank you!
My betta eats my pond snails. He will wait until they are big and eat them alive. I have three merited with my assassins and from what I have found the assassins eat only snails smaller then them and it is really cool when I have three types of snails in the same tank but the one is constantly being eaten(pond snails).

Crimson_687

Well Known
Not sure about the rabbit snails, but nerites have a trap door that will prevent them from being eaten, though some say assasin snails are able to push through the trap door. I use mines for pond snails and they get the job done well. Assasin snails eggs are shaped like long sacs. As nerite snails get older they lay less eggs

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
From what i've read assassin snails will eat ALL snails eventually. Eventually your nerites will stop laying those white eggs and they will eventually disappear. If you put some lettuce or some other veggies in the tank u should be able to remove a big amount of the pond snails.

OP
P

peighton

kallililly1973 said:
From what i've read assassin snails will eat ALL snails eventually. Eventually your nerites will stop laying those white eggs and they will eventually disappear. If you put some lettuce or some other veggies in the tank u should be able to remove a big amount of the pond snails.
I'm okay with them eating the nerites. I'll move my rabbit snails to my smaller tank. I just hate all the eggs, but if they're not typically snacking on nerites, I don't want more snails that are laying more eggs lol

OP
P

peighton

Crimson_687 said:
Not sure about the rabbit snails, but nerites have a trap door that will prevent them from being eaten, though some say assasin snails are able to push through the trap door. I use mines for pond snails and they get the job done well. Assasin snails eggs are shaped like long sacs. As nerite snails get older they lay less eggs
I think mine were young then, they haven't slowed on the eggs. I have so many in my tank, they're laying eggs even on each others shells now.

OP
P

peighton

BusterBot28 said:
My betta eats my pond snails. He will wait until they are big and eat them alive. I have three merited with my assassins and from what I have found the assassins eat only snails smaller then them and it is really cool when I have three types of snails in the same tank but the one is constantly being eaten(pond snails).
I wish my betta would lol He's not big on anything except pellets. I can't get him to even eat blood worms. I actually want the assassins to eat my nerites, but I'll just ask my lfs if they'll take them back I guess, it seems like assassins aren't the best for nerite culling.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
peighton said:
I'm okay with them eating the nerites. I'll move my rabbit snails to my smaller tank. I just hate all the eggs, but if they're not typically snacking on nerites, I don't want more snails that are laying more eggs lol
I'de rehome the nerites and besides their eggs aren't that unappealing to look at and they don't reproduce in freshwater anyways.( I wish they did i'de have 100). After all look at all the work they did to help you keep your tank clean. You should give them a second chance.

OP
P

peighton

kallililly1973 said:
I'de rehome the nerites and besides their eggs aren't that unappealing to look at and they don't reproduce in freshwater anyways.( I wish they did i'de have 100). After all look at all the work they did to help you keep your tank clean. You should give them a second chance.
Their eggs are super unappealing to me. I have no idea how I'm going to get their eggs of everything, I feel like my tank and wood is ruined. I'll ask my LFS if they want them back.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
peighton said:
Their eggs are super unappealing to me. I have no idea how I'm going to get their eggs of everything, I feel like my tank and wood is ruined. I'll ask my LFS if they want them back.
To each their own I guess. I find em to make things look more natural but that's me. Hope your LFS takes them back good luck!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I have read that once the assassins clean up all the pest snails they will do their best to eat any other snail in the tank. They have been known to gang up on snails much bigger than themselves. I can't swear to that though. All I have had in my tanks are bladder and ramshorn.

Assassin snail eggs are very unobtrusive. I have bunches of assassins and have to really search for their eggs. My assassins did a fantastic job of getting rid of a ramshorm explosion in my big tank.

When I first started noticing the pest snails I just want them GONE. I have since gain a lot of respect for them. They are a great cleanup crew in small numbers.

No assassins don't eat their young or each other.

New Threads