Multiple Shrimp Species Tank?

MrMutton

So I thought about doing a 10 gallon shrimp only tank and after doing some research, was thinking of populating the tank with red cherry shrimp, tangerine tigers and green babultI shrimp( according to Rachael O leary they don't interbreed with other caridinas). I was planning on letting them populate the tank and have about 100-150 of them. Should I be worried if one species out competes another?

Mcasella

red cherry will likely out compete the other two, tiger males are very aggressive about breeding and don't seem to care what they breed with, babultI are slightly more delicate than the other two though. You will need to make sure to have the water parameters where they all can stand them (they just can't have the same water parameters, as they are different species and what a cherry can tolerate a tiger or babultI cannot).

MrMutton

Well, based on what I have searched up, babultI prefer harder water similar to cherries and tangerines can also take a reasonably wide range of parameters (again getting this from Rachael's species spotlight). Huh I thought tangerines breed prolifically.

-Mak-

While I don't know which shrimp would outcompete the others in this scenario, what I do with my amanos and cherries is secure food in a way the amanos cannot steal it from the cherries. Usually I use my aquascaping tweezers tied together with food held tight at the end so the shrimp have to eat it on the spot, or you could skewer a piece of veggie and stick it in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
brhau
Replies
Views
HappiestCamper
Replies
Views
Vyvid
Replies
Views