Multiple Seperate Occurrences Of Dropsy On Cpds

Triplus

Reaction score
Hey all

First post on this forum, started my first tank about a year ago now.
In december I set up my 30g tank which has been going fine so far, some small issues with the plants but I'll manage

But since end March/beginning of April I have had 3 Celestial Pearl Danios die.
  • First one was swollen and scales were open so I assume it's dropsy. Cause is unknown for now. I put it in a separate tank but it died 2 days after
  • Second one I found just dead in the tank. Looked still normal when i took it out, no signs of swelling or scales open, ...
  • Third one I noticed yesterday evening where it was also bloated and scales were open. I also took that one out and put it in a separate tank but I don't have high hopes...
Now question is what would could be the cause. I know dropsy are symptoms, but I want to know the cause.
Other fish in the aquarium are:
Not sure if it is a contagious bacterial infection: all other species of fish are still fine and the time between the first and third fish feels to long
I feel water quality is also fine, I do weekly water changes of about 15%. Again all other fish are doing fine.
For diet, I give a variety of frozen food (blood worms, artemia, brineshrimp, ...) and some times some small flake food ment for small fish.

Water parametersdid a quick check with test strips, if needed I can do a precise test tomorrow evening with liquid stuff)
ammonia/nitrate/nitrite: 0/0/10-20
PH: around 8
KH:12
GH:8
Temp: 24°C

I did read that CPDs may get dropsy due to kidney failure due to the way they are being caught (certain product they all group to but that causes issues in the long run).

Anyone any idea on this?

Thanks and kind regards
Joren

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dropsy is a secondary infection usually occuring after a bacterial infection of the swim bladder. This is one of the few contaigous bacterial infections. Your going to want to begin dosing with marcyrn 2 which is very effective. I would also add garlic to their food which will boost their immune system.

Triplus

Reaction score
I would rather not just start dosing anything unless I'm 100% sure that the cause is bacterial. I heard that dosing antibiotics to fish that are not sick can only make fish more fragile...
Why would only the CPDs have it? Are they just weaker or is something else going on?

Know that I'm not trying to be ignorant, and I'll look around for a medicine in my LFS if it is really needed, but I'd rather not put all my fish trough a medicine cure if it's not needed.

Thanks

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dropsy is always a result of a bacterial infection. You just don't know where the actual bacterial infection is. Usually it's the swim bladder. The CPD could be more prone due to poor genetics. If you got all of them from the same aquarium, they could all be from the same breeder. The adult fish they are from might have had poor genetics. This bacterial infection might affect CPDs more than others also and therefore only the cpd are getting it.

Triplus

Reaction score
I thought dropsy could also be caused by non-bacterial causes, at least that is what I read.
Would treating my CPDs separately in a hospital tank be a good idea? Or should I treat the whole tank just to be sure?

Thanks

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dropsy isn't always a bacterial issue and isn't contagious.

There is something in CPD. That is my own experience and there have been several threads about it. They have been suspecions them.being.prone to tb, but I suspect something like DGD (a viral issue)

Poor genetics is unlikely cause they're quite "new" in the hobby.

Triplus

Reaction score
that is also what I heard. So what would you sugest? Just keep those with dropsy seperaye or should i go for medecine?

thanks

Triplus

Reaction score
hmm okay, and I assume your other fish also never got sick?
Is there any way to check if my case of dropsy is caused by bacterial infections or not?

Thanks

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No only the CPD's had issues (dropsy/bloating/getting thin/getting strange spots/ etc...) Not all of them and not all at once.
This is why I.started suspecting a virus like DGD.

No, but also in that case it isn't contagious.
Triplus said:
hmm okay, and I assume your other fish also never got sick?
Is there any way to check if my case of dropsy is caused by bacterial infections or not?

Thanks

Triplus

Reaction score
Okay super
For now I'll take my sick CPDs separate, but as long as my other fish seem to be doing fine I won't treat unnecessarily.

Thanks for confirming!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom