Multiple questions

1. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Im planning to begin planting my new 75g tank on the weekend and as this is my first time keeping plants im wondering if there's anything in particular I need to do. I want some form of Anuabis, vallisneria and a sword plant, are these ok? Also possibly some form of carpeting plant but I will add that later (suggestions for species are welcome). People often use co2 or root tabs and I was wondering if they are necessary or just extras? Any advice on keeping plants would be appreciated.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is this for your African cichlid tank? If so, most plants will be eaten or destroyed.

Root tabs are necessary for root feeding plants (Val, swords). CO2 is not necessary for many plants (like the Anubias, Val, and sword). You won't be able to get a true carpet without CO2, high light, and a fertilized substrate, but crypts and dwarf sag are good small foreground plants.

3. Charles556 Member Member

The plants you have chosen are all great choices for beginners. Anubias are low-tech plants that don't require powerful lighting or additional fertilizers. Vals and swords I'd say benefit more from a medium tech setup, with medium tech meaning plant-specific T8 bulbs and monthly root tabs, for me at least.

Liquid C02, like Flourish excel, has been known to melt vals if the plants are not acclimated slowly to it. Anyways, you wouldn't necessarily need it for a low/medium tech setup. I actually strongly recommend root tabs for beginners because they're easy to use; just stick one into the substrate near the base of a heavy root feeder like a sword once every 1 or 2 months. Even vals should benefit from tabs, as they also acquire nutrients through roots.

4. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Brilliant thanks, I probably won't go for a carpet if its a lot of work. I am using t5 lights though, is that ok?
    Yes it will go with my African's, but I plant to pot the plants and place some rocks around them to stop uprooting, also as most of the plants I have chosen are thick leaves and strong they have resistance to being nibbled. Finally, I feed them with food that has very high Vegtable content which is also suppose to help.

5. Charles556 Member Member

That depends on what bulbs you have. Are they plant specific t5's? They are much more powerful than T8s, though, and will boost plant, but also algae, growth.

Like TexasDomer said, crypts are a great, easy foreground plant. I have them in both my 50 gal and 29 gal to compliment the brown bogwood.

As @TexasDomer stated, if these are for an African cichlid tank, the plants will be destroyed. When you say 'new 75 g tank', do you mean you're starting from the ground up?

6. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

They are plant specific bulbs
    I will look into crypts
    See post above about African cichlids
    When I say new, I mean its partially cycled, partially decorated and has no fish in it

7. Charles556 Member Member

I'll let someone else with experience keeping African cichlids tell you if keeping tough species of plants in pots is safe with those fish. Wouldn't want to give you wrong information :)

That said, do you know what brand and model your bulbs are? More specifically, PAR value, lumens, etc.?

Dolfan wrote a great article about keeping low-tech plants. In it, he talks about many of the subjects you were asking about. I don't know if you've read it, but here it is: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html

8. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Great article thanks for the info, im not sure about the bulbs but I can check on Saturday when I go to my Lfs

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Anubias might do okay in the tank, but I wouldn't expect the others to survive. Tie the Anubias to some of the rocks in the tank.

10. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

I will do thanks, I will just get Anuabis to start with then

11. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

What is the best brand of fertilizer to get that isn't too expensive

12. Charles556 Member Member

If you're tying the anubias to rocks, liquid fertilizers are the way to go. I've planted anubias directly into the substrate and used root tabs with amazing success, but with your cichlids, they'd probably uproot the plants. Planted tank pros generally prefer Seachem's Flourish line of fertilizers.

13. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

They have the sachem flourish at my Lfs for a fiver so ill get that, thanks for your help

14. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Just realised that there is various kinds of flourish, what one do I want? Normal, excel, co2 ect

15. Charles556 Member Member

This is out of my range of expertise, as I run low/medium tech planted tanks. However, I do know that Flourish is the liquid micronutrients and Flourish Excel is the liquid C02.

I'd start out with just the normal Flourish, especially if you don't have that many plants. Also, be careful with the dosing, as even the recommended amount can lead to excessive algae growth.

16. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Will do thanks

17. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

I've added 1 anubais and 1 Java fern to begin with, I haven't added fertilizer yet because there is only 2 plants in a large tank. Both seem to be doing ok but two things have happened and I have no idea what they are.
    1: the anubais leaves looked like they were going brown so I took it out to look at it and there seemed to be these little dark brown seedy things on it. I cleaned most off but I dont know if it will come back, what it was or why it happened. Heres a pic ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466707177.369962.jpg
    2: the Java fern has these weird black dots on its underleaf. I haven't done anything about them but I want to know what they are: ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466707240.515647.jpg
    Someone please respond, im stressing out a bit. Im suppose to add my first fish on Sunday.

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Could it be algae on the Anubias?

The spots on the Java fern are normal. They'll grow into little plantlets eventually.

19. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Im not sure its algae, if it is its unlike other kinds I've come across before. As I said the texture was more seedy than slimy.
    Cool about the Java fern, free plants!!

20. Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Saying that it does look a lot like the pictures of anubais algae on the Internet, what would clear it off? Just a normal BN pleco?