Multiple questions!

1. Squiggles Member Member

It seems like I go a while without posting and then posting too many threads at once! :whistling:
    So I am going to try and squeeze a few different questions in this!
    1) What type of freshwater plant makes it look like a carpet on the bottom of your tank? Is it safe for goldfish? (plus how to take care of it?) and what are good plants/mosses you've had success with? (Please keep in mind I have a goldfish and no artificial lighting, although my room has great lighting, so it's not a dark tank) Here's a couple examples of what I am thinking about: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2) Are freshwater snails and goldfish compatible?

3) do you need drift wood for snails?
    4) what temperature is good for snails?

Thanks soooo much! :)

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

For carpeting plants you need high lighting and usually CO2. What kind of lighting does your mom have and is it over the tank at all? You need at least 6500K for low light plants.

I believe goldfish beat up plants pretty well, I'm unsure which plants do okay with goldfish.

I do low light plants like christmas moss, moss ball, anubias, crypts, banana plants, and bacopa. I also fertilize with both liquid and root tabs. Plus I have a finnex planted plus lights.

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You don't NEED driftwood for snails. They're perfectly happy otherwise. Be sure to leave maybe an algae wafer or piece of zucchini for them to munch on. There's also a thing called Snail jello you can make for them.

The temperature range for snails depends on the snail. Nerites can go from 70f-80f but maybe even cooler depending, not sure. Mystery snails around 64f to 82f and I think they grow bigger?

It depends on the goldfish's mood I think. Sometimes as long as the snail is larger than the goldfish's mouth it's safe and sometimes a goldfish will rip apart a snail. Goldfish eat a lot of things. Usually plants in a goldfish tank become salad, which can be good for your goldfish's health but can become expensive depending what plant you use.

4. Squiggles Member Member

If your asking about our housing lighting, I have no idea! Just a bulb on the ceiling, but I have many HUGE windows, that face the sun during the day, so there's tons of natural lighting in my room.
    His (Squiggles) LED lighting for his tank broke , that's why there is no artificial lighting for his tank.

So do I need artificial lighting for any plants? (Because replacing the lighting is nearly as expensive as getting a new tank kit :O )

5. Kwig Well Known Member Member

For carpeting plants, realistically you'll want a very good light. By the time diffused sunlight hits your tank it's not doing a whole lot for the plants, though algae usually love it.
    The only plants the goldie's at work don't eat are anubias, swords, and Java ferns.