Multiple Male Bettas In Same Tank?!?!

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A guy in my general vicinity is selling male bettas.

How in the heck have they not killed each other?!?! Everything I've heard is that you dang near separate them at birth. (Hatch, whatever) I've gotten used to the fact that most people on a certain buying/selling website are morons when it comes to fish but this is pretty high up there with the 10" iridescent shark in a 12" tank. (No joke! It was a ten gallon tank!!)

So what's the deal with this? Should I be worried? Any clarification would help.

IMG_3832.PNG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Males can get along for a while when they are raised together, but I would still not keep more than one male in a tank.

Side note, all those looks like females. It's not strange at all to have several females in a sorority tank. So long as there is enough room, hiding places and enough girls to spread aggression it can be done.

There might be a few young males in that tank, but as far as I can tell they are females. That colorful one might be a male though, the body shape looks male-ish and it kinda looks like there's a beard around its gills

Lovely fish though, all of them look amazingly healthy

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Males can get along for a while when they are raised together, but I would still not keep more than one male in a tank.

Side note, all those looks like females. It's not strange at all to have several females in a sorority tank. So long as there is enough room, hiding places and enough girls to spread aggression it can be done.

There might be a few young males in that tank, but as far as I can tell they are females. That colorful one might be a male though, the body shape looks male-ish and it kinda looks like there's a beard around its gills

Lovely fish though, all of them look amazingly healthy
That's kinda what I was wondering if they were female. Guess I'll add him to the list that actually do know how to take care of fish. Thank you!

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look female to me too, and awesome fish Having said that though, I once kept 2 rather placid, full grown males together that never fought (in a 15gallon), but normally you cant. I think mine were gay

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look female to me too, and awesome fish Having said that though, I once kept 2 rather placid, full grown males together that never fought (in a 15gallon), but normally you cant. I think mine were gay
That hilarious. My friend had one male that was the nicest thing ever. And one female that thought she was a freaking piraña. We figured she'd kill the male. She was gonna breed them but neither of us realized just how crazy dedicated you need to be.

Lindsay83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The colourful one looks like a plakat male, but all the rest look like females to me.

*gets tin hat ready for the onslaught*

I had a 4ft, 30 UK gallon harem tank set up once. It was heavily planted with 1 male and 2-3 females. However, st the beginning, due to an error, I had a veiltail male in with the plakat, and 2 females. The veiltail antagonised the plakat, but generally, Stripe (plakat) had a territory on the left hand side of the tank, and Huey (veiltail) set up territory on the right.

They were in that tank for 2 months before I realised my mistake and relocated Huey to a 10gal/2ft tank of his own. Stripe and the girls produced lots of fry, at least 1 of which ( a female) survived for about 3-4 months in the 4ft with her parents and the other females.

If I ever get my hands on another 4ft tank (I stupidly gave mine away to a relative when I moved) I'll be setting it up as another betta harem tank, but this time, with dither fish. . . And more plants.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The colourful one looks like a plakat male, but all the rest look like females to me.

I had a 4ft, 30 UK gallon harem tank set up once. It was heavily planted with 1 male and 2-3 females. However, st the beginning, due to an error, I had a veiltail male in with the plakat, and 2 females. The veiltail antagonised the plakat, but generally, Stripe (plakat) had a territory on the left hand side of the tank, and Huey (veiltail) set up territory on the right.

They were in that tank for 2 months before I realised my mistake and relocated Huey to a 10gal/2ft tank of his own. Stripe and the girls produced lots of fry, at least 1 of which ( a female) survived for about 3-4 months in the 4ft with her parents and the other females.

If I ever get my hands on another 4ft tank (I stupidly gave mine away to a relative when I moved) I'll be setting it up as another betta harem tank, but this time, with dither fish. . . And more plants.
I think they're female too. It just gave me a heart attack swing that many "males" in one tank.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Aw, should have let me know. I just sold my 45g he's coming today to pick it up. Which reminds me I need to finish cleaning it...

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, now I'm gonnna be a noob for a second. How do you tell the official difference between a male and female. I always did by the fins but now I know that some males have the short fins. Plakat? I'm into loaches but I have a double tale male betta Lune.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that would definantly be an expensive trip. You could even have the 6x2x2 foot China cabinet base. Only weighs about 200 lbs. ha! Now I have to look it up.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The colorful one may be the father in cases where dad is left in the males don't mature out *as fast* and start fighting because there is already a dominant male - however the females will start up because there needs to be one alpha female to breed with the male, so the dominant female may go around terrorizing her lessors. But they look mostly female.

Lindsay83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, now I'm gonnna be a noob for a second. How do you tell the official difference between a male and female. I always did by the fins but now I know that some males have the short fins. Plakat? I'm into loaches but I have a double tale male betta Lune.
Females are generally more slender. Plakat males are more "butch" looking. Anal/pectoral fin on the male is longer and more pointed, and females have a noticeable white spot on the lower abdomen (egg sac?). I'm trying to log in to My photobucket account, so I can upload pics (pics of the fish are all on my PC and/or photobucket, ) but for some reasons, it's not playing ball, so here's a pic/gallery of female bettas:

And how to tell them apart from the males:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom