Multiple Honey Gourami in the same tank?

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Thetanknwebie, Aug 9, 2015.

1. ThetanknwebieWell Known MemberMember

Hello all. After the sudden death of my blue dwarf gourami (dropsy), I decided to buy some new fish. I bought a honey gourami and I just love him! I was wondering if I could buy another one? It's in a 29g if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, you could. Do you know how to sex them? Try getting a female (they have a strip across the body I believe). If you have a male, get a female. If a female, get a male.

3. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

A honey Gourami is one of the more peaceful gourami, but nonetheless, is still a gourami. Males can be together when younger, as they were born and raised together, but as they get older they will likely attack each other. So as Anders said, go find a female if you can, ask around for special ordering.

4. Anders247

Actually, honey gouramis are a social gourami, unlike most other types, so multiple males would be fine together.... in a large group.

5. happygolucky

happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I did not know this, but I doubt that a 29 gallon could house a "large group" of male honey gouramis. He should still probably stick to a pair.

6. Anders247

Yep, agreed....

7. OP
    OP
    T

ThetanknwebieWell Known MemberMember

I only wanted one more. He seems to be a lot shyer than my original dwarf gourami. Do you think getting another one would help him get out of his shell?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Anders247

Perhaps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice