multiple fish deaths, is it a fungus?

1. b

betsyab New Member Member

Hello, I could use a little help figuring out why my fish have been dying. I lost a neon yesterday, and today I lost a platy. There is another platy in the tank that seems to look a little different on his back directly behind the dorsal fin. The area is not shiny like the rest of his body, and it almost appears like a few scales are sticking out a little bit. IMG_8580.jpg IMG_8569.jpg IMG_8574.jpg No other fish in the tank appear ill. I had recently tried to unsuccessfully introduce a few other neons into the tank (as I only had 2 and wanted to bring in a few more) but they all perished at different times. Those had some tail fin issues, and it seems like those fish arrived sick from the store without me noticing (I'm not happy that a pet store would sell sick fish!!) I'm wondering if maybe one of them introduced something into the tank? The tail fin issues seemed to be like they had been bitten off in places.

My pH is 7.0
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 10

What should I do?

Other fish in the tank:
    1 neon tetra
    2 platys
    2 mollies
    4 glow tetras
    1 ghost shrimp

I treat the aquarium (20 gallon tank) with Prime.

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Ouch, it sounds like you're having a rough time. Are the fins on that fish white or cloudy looking? What you remember about the behavior and appearance of the fish that died? Is this fish acting odd?

If possible, I would move the fish to another tank. I've even used buckets for my fish. If you have an air pump, you could set it up in a way that the bucket and tank both get bubbles. There are adjusters that I've found very useful. If you use a bucket, make sure it's very clean and doesn't smell like chemicals or anything. If there is a number 3 or 7 inside the recycling logo it the plastic will leach toxins into your fish. Also remember to cover a bucket so the fish can't jump out.

Good luck.

Nippybetta.

3. OP
    OP
    b

betsyab New Member Member

The fins on that fish look fine. I don't remember any unusual behavior with the fish, or the neon that didn't make it yesterday. The neon that died was one of the older neons in the tank (probably at least a year--I inherited the tank so I don't know for sure). When the neon died yesterday we just assumed old age. Then with the platy today....makes me suspicious.

The only think I noticed that was funny yesterday is that the smaller orange platy was swimming right next to one of the mickey mouse platys all day. He was right against the other one, seemed strange. I'm wondering it that was the same mickey mouse platy that died today, guessing it probably was. Well, the other mickey mouse platy that is still alive and has the strange patch isnot being harassed by anyone.

Any other thoughts?

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I'm really sorry about your losses.

You cant beat fresh clean water, so I'd start with daily 30% water changes with Prime for a slime coat aid. I'd recommend NovAqua+ as it offers more then Prime. Like Echinacea, Electrolytes and Vitamins. I see sometimes no reason to use Prime when there are no toxins present is what I am getting at. Same for Amquel+. But that's just me. :) I keep a bottle of Amquel+ for emergency to use with NovAqua+ or Fish Protector. Usually for QT.