multiple filters???? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ppate1977, Mar 24, 2010.

1. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

As some of you may know I lost my main tank to my ex. I bought a 10gal to hold me over till I get a new place. Question is: is it ok to slightly overstock the tank if I add a second filter? I have a 15 hob filter and tonight I'm adding a 10gal whisper in tank. Can I safely slightly overstock?

I was smart enough to put an extra bio filter pad in my established tank so I'm already almost cycled.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

No, it is not safe to overstock the tank from the start. Also, a 10 gallon is not big enough to overstock IMO. I mean, what did you have in mind? 20 danios? There aren't a lot of fish that can be kept in a 10 gallon. There are even less fish that can be kept in a group in a 10. You also can't get enough decor in to provide cover for a bunch of fish.

And, when you account for the volume of water that the decor and substrate displace, as well as the space between the surface of the water and the top of the tank, you're left with MUCH LESS than 10 gallons of water in the tank.

The only way I think you could safely overstock a 10 is to get a larger school of some very small fish.

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

It's ok to slightly overstock, adding a another filter is good too but keep in mind that overstocking too much can cause problems like aggression due to lack of space and fin-nipping, just as long as they are compatible & suitable for a 10g. Just use your own judgement. :) What are you planning on putting in there anyway? And I agree with the above poster about it's not safe to overstock when you have a new tank, I didn't see that part. lol Just wanted to add that adding another filter doesn't mean you can slack on water changes. lol

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I don't think adding a second filter will do much.

Say you live in a small studio apartment with your partner and one bathroom. Now say that another couple moves in with you so there are 4 people living in a studio apartment with one bathroom.

Will adding a second bathroom make the studio apartment any better for you guys?

5. Jaysee

HECK YEAH IT WILL! Although I agree with what you were saying.

6. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

Actually yes. I hate sharing bathrooms. Lol. Besides the joke thanks for the advice

7. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

On a plus side, you will be adding a few more cups of water volume though. lol

8. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

Good points everyone. Its only 10 gal but according to aqadvisor.com my filtration is at 1768% lol. I am aware of the inaccuracies of that site, just fun to look at. So to answer an earlier post: I have a rubber pleco (temp), and a betta right now. I'm thinking about addidng a few platy. I KNOW I'll be overstocked, but I'm getting a much larger tank soon and I test the parameters and change water, as well as using prime, like its my job. Man I miss my other tank. My crowntail betta is rediculously calm. Btw I have drift wood, anubias, whisteria and extra anubias anchored and rooted to my driftwood.

9. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

I would not add anything else. You have a betta in there now which in most cases does not play well with others. The pleco is probably still alive because it is a bottom dweller and doesn't have to compete for much of the swim space.

10. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

My betta is so peaceful. He is the one that hides the most. I have the next few days off and I'll watch like a hawk. I must have the buddah of bettas. Lol. He is so friendly.

11. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

I'm only speaking from what I've read about other peoples Betta's and what their knowledge is. I have heard of people keeping one in a community tank without issues but most people in that post were very shocked and recommended against it. If he is hiding a lot it may be because he is scared/stressed.

If your betta is the buddah, you are lucky! :D

12. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

I hear ya outlaw, I was surprised when I put a single molly in and he didn't even care; so I added the pleco and platies. I put 3 ghost shrimp from my buddy in there and the betta kept trying to eat them, bit couldn't catch them and gave up..... now they hide! I also added floating water sprite as well today. The tank is so heavily planted that everyone has their favorite areas.

13. Jaysee

The betta will eat the shrimp when they molt unless you have a places for the shrimp to hide that are inaccessable for the betta. i lost a few dwarf crayfish to bettas before figuring that out :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice