Multiple Filters Per Aquarium - Photos?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Angolangrl, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Angolangrl

Angolangrl Valued Member Member

I have a new 150g freshwater planted tank and need to upgrade my existing Fluval 406. filter. (Yes I know if is painfully small... I am looking for productive advice - please.) I understand that a Fluval 4x ($280) would be ideal but it is very expensive. Thus, I am considering a second Fluval 406 ($195) thus having multiple filters on 1 tank. However, I am unsure 1) if this will be enough filtration, 2) if there would be enough flow rate, 3) how this would look (I understand that the filters should not be piggybacked / connected together so this means that there would be several "tubes" seen.) and 4) would buying a used Fx4 be worth the risk? Also I have a 26g tank with a Aqueon QuietFlow 30 HOB filter. Would using the Fluval 406 be too much (Flow rate / filtration) for this tank?

Does anyone have photos to share in which multiple filters are used on 1 tank?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

I have 2 filters in my 5g. I know it's the opposite end of the scale size-wise from your tank but I will attach pictures anyway. I have one sponge filter and one canister filter, both designed for a 5g tank but I wanted to be sure my filters could handle the bioload of a pea puffer.

Is it 406gph or 406lph ? If gph then:

1. Yes, it will give you 812gph when you only need 750gph
    2. If you put the filters at opposite sides of your tank and near the water surface then yes.
    3. I mean it will look like having two filters.. You can cover then up with tall plants if you are really worried but you'll be fine.
    4. I cannot help you there I'm afraid

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

"If you put the filters at opposite sides of your tank and near the water surface then yes." -
    please clarify.... so each side will have (1) exhaust (? terminology?) and (1) intake from different filter.

Love the pic! I need more plants and bigger like yours

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  4. Mary765

This is my tank before re-arranging it lol! But thanks anyway! I plan on splitting the big plant into two or three smaller ones and adding in a few more plants (and black gravel) before adding my puffer.

Yes, If you don't mind having it that way. I don't know how else you were planning to have your filters? We're you planning on linking up one of the "exhausts" to the other "intake" ?

5. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I saw a cheap all ponds solution $50 on eBay. It pumps 1000l/hour. That would be really good for your tank in addition to the one you already have.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

On my planted 150 tall I have three canisters all Marineland (will have nothing else) 1 Mag 350 and 2 Magniflow 360's along with a 350 Penguin for 1,420 GPH. Lower GPH than I would like. I shoot for 10x the water column.

7. l

lodingi New Member Member

If you live near a Petsmart, they often put the FX4 on sale for $199. The problem is they don't advertise the sale, so you'll need to check in store from time to time.

8. Thunder_o_b

Drives me nuts the way they have sales and do not tell any one. PetSmart had a sale on the Magniflow 360 canisters $100.00 each. I found out on the last day when I just walked in. I got the last two. Drives me nuts.. I wanted one more :emoji_rage:

9. Mary765

We don't really get big sales here in England.. it's just not something we do. We have random individual sales of they need to shift that item out to make way for new ones but never the sort of sales I hear about in the US

10. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

Thanks for all the advice!

11. Eirelav_mcgoo

Eirelav_mcgoo Valued Member Member

My 55g has a HOB rated for 75 gallons and a sponge filter rated for 60 gallons. Each is at either end of the tank with a wavemaker to aid in circulation. I dont have a very good picture because there is driftwood that hides the HOB filter.

Attached Files:

12. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

My 55g has a Fluval 406, but my water always seems a little cloudy.. when I run my little surface skimmer with filter floss it helps. What do you run in each filter? What is your cleaning regiment for them? I was thinking of a separate canister with just chemical and filter floss and leave the sponge+mechanical in the 406.

13. Thunder_o_b

Ok, 1 Magniflow is setup stock with corse "sponge" then carbon then ceramic rings then bio balls then the fine filter pad. The next Magniflow is the same save there is purgin instead if carbon. The Magnum 350 is set up with the fine water polisher with a filter sleave over it. The HOB penguin bio wheel is just stock cartrages. One week I Service the Hob and the first Magnaflow, the next week the other Magniflow and the Mag 350. Water changes as needed. I think I will be adding two UV steralizers soon.

I recharge or change the carbon at each service. I only use Marineland carbon because it is batumis coal instead of burnt wood or coconut shell.

Still trying to decide if Purgin is worth the cost and work.

14. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

Eirelav_mcgoo - Love the picture and your plants.

TexasGuppy - We received the F406 also with another's set-up. Currently there is only stock sponges but I plan on getting other materials this week. I have been doing weekly water tests and the parameters look good and water is clear. And 10% water changes every 2.5 weeks. Clean the filters every 1-1.5 months. Also have a bubblier. Currently my fish are small. This is our first canister type filter and our first planted tank. Thus we are still unsure about the appropriate cleaning timetable. I think we will go with having (2) filters - visually & for cleaning / filtration reasons... What type of chemicals do you regularly use (beside water conditioner)?

15. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I had a 75g with a 406 and thought it wasn't enough filtration so I was thinking about a FX4 for a while. I went to PetSmart a few months ago and saw the FX4 on sale for $199 and jumped on it. Plan was to run both for a month or two and then take the 406 off but it's been over 2 months and I think I'm leaving both on the tank. PetSmart regularly has Fluval filters on sale.

2018-03-06 22.39.40.jpg

16. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Here's my tank. It's a 38 bowfront, and I run two HOB filters and a sponge in the bottom because my pleco kicks up dust. The HOB are run one on each "end", which works great, leaving a good current for fish who like it, and a space in the middle with little current for them to rest. Personally, if I had any kind of a larger tank, I'd opt for a filter on each end rather than one larger one....just to know that I have good circulation. Image1523840908.204409.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

Great Pics. Thanks all.

I picked up additional plants and bio matter and sponges for the filter. I will keep my eye out for filter sales as discussed

18. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

If you have a Fluval 406, and like it, I would add another.

Why? A couple of reasons. First, I don't know if you're the only one cleaning these filters but if you have someone else occasionally clean them - it's much simpler to train them how to clean one filter rather than two different types.

Additionally - the parts are interchangeable. You can buy a repair kit full of o-rings, impellers, drive motors, media trays, etc - and you can use them on BOTH filters because they're identical.

That is IF YOU LIKE the Fluval 406. Someone suggested the "All Ponds Solution" canister above, that's a GREAT and cheap filter. So if you're committed to Fluval - stick with what you've got I'd say. If not, maybe now is the time to bail out of Fluval and get something else if you need two of them.

If two filters don't cut it - you can buy a THIRD ... or ... add an HOB.

19. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

Good points... Thanks. I think you are right

20. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

on my 112g, i use 2 canisters. A ehiem 2217 and an aquatop forza fz5. One on each end. On with a spray bar, the other without. Creates tons of flow, water movement and Surface agitation. on a 150g, I'd definitely have a second canister or one really big one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice