How long has the tank been running?
2.5 months
Does it have a filter?
Fluval 407
Does it have a heater?
Fluval E300
What is the water temperature?
76F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
3 Boesemani Rainbowfish (other 3 died this week)
2 Iranian Red Rainbowfish
2 Parkinsoni Rainbowfish
1 Turquoise Rainbowfish (other died this week)
14 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
4 Angelfish
1 Denison Barb (other 2 died this week)
3 SAE
5 Otos
8 Julii Cory
2 Bristlenose Pleco
4 Nerite Snails
10+ Amano Shrimp
M/F Pair of Apisto Borelli Opal

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?

Every 4-5 days, though with this issue, I've been changing once every two to try and keep extra clean
How much of the water do you change?
30-40%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Mostly water, but also any looser algae and debris

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 60
pH: 6.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?

Twice daily
How much do you feed your fish?
Large pinch; some left over that corys clean up
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari, NLS, and Fluval
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
On occasion, once every few days, they get a frozen cube of blood worms or brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?

The ones that died, 4 days. The one that has the white patch, 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
White patch along one side of the fish. She does flip around on occasion, as fish do when sick or have discomfort. Generally not as active as the rest of the school, though is still spawning with the males.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No, not sure what it is...
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
See above

Explain your emergency situation in detail:
This morning, I noticed one of my dwarf neon rainbowfish females had a white rough patch on her side. She's generally less active than the rest, but the males have been sparring and spawning with the females today, including her. I've contacted the online shop, because I think stress is a major factor. They sent me 11 males and 3 females. However, I don't know what she possibly has or how to treat it/prevent it from spreading to others. The other 6 fish that died did NOT have these symptoms. LFS seems to think they couldn't handle the PH difference (despite me acclimating them for 2 hours), but I thought I'd include the information for completeness.

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

Megaanemp

Dkrafft11 said:
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?

75 gallon aquarium, approximately 65 gallons water
How long has the tank been running?
2.5 months
Does it have a filter?
Fluval 407
Does it have a heater?
Fluval E300
What is the water temperature?
76F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
3 Boesemani Rainbowfish (other 3 died this week)
2 Iranian Red Rainbowfish
2 Parkinsoni Rainbowfish
1 Turquoise Rainbowfish (other died this week)
14 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
4 Angelfish
1 Denison Barb (other 2 died this week)
3 SAE
5 Otos
8 Julii Cory
2 Bristlenose Pleco
4 Nerite Snails
10+ Amano Shrimp
M/F Pair of Apisto Borelli Opal

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?

Every 4-5 days, though with this issue, I've been changing once every two to try and keep extra clean
How much of the water do you change?
30-40%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Mostly water, but also any looser algae and debris

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 60
pH: 6.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?

Twice daily
How much do you feed your fish?
Large pinch; some left over that corys clean up
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari, NLS, and Fluval
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
On occasion, once every few days, they get a frozen cube of blood worms or brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?

The ones that died, 4 days. The one that has the white patch, 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
White patch along one side of the fish. She does flip around on occasion, as fish do when sick or have discomfort. Generally not as active as the rest of the school, though is still spawning with the males.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No, not sure what it is...
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
See above

Explain your emergency situation in detail:
This morning, I noticed one of my dwarf neon rainbowfish females had a white rough patch on her side. She's generally less active than the rest, but the males have been sparring and spawning with the females today, including her. I've contacted the online shop, because I think stress is a major factor. They sent me 11 males and 3 females. However, I don't know what she possibly has or how to treat it/prevent it from spreading to others. The other 6 fish that died did NOT have these symptoms. LFS seems to think they couldn't handle the PH difference (despite me acclimating them for 2 hours), but I thought I'd include the information for completeness.

IMG_5402.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg
Sorry to hear about your fish! Maybe post this in the disease Forum as well, I think more people who are good at ID-ing things like his might see it.

GlennO

I don't know what that is but rainbowfish are prone to illness if they are not kept in very clean water. At 60ppm your nitrates are a bit high which is surprising given the amount of water changes you've been doing. Is it normally that high? Do you have any nitrates in your tap water?

Megaanemp

I wonder if the canister filter needs cleaned out, that might explain the high nitrates. As mentioned above, have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It’s weird that they are so high considering how much water you’re changing. Also how hard is the water? I’ve heard that pH tests may not be reliable when testing extremely soft water, but I think that may be more for RODI water, I’m not sure. Maybe dose with seachem prime each day to lock up some of the nitrates until you get to the bottom of this.

Dkrafft11

Megaanemp said:
I wonder if the canister filter needs cleaned out, that might explain the high nitrates. As mentioned above, have you tested your tap water for nitrates? It’s weird that they are so high considering how much water you’re changing. Also how hard is the water? I’ve heard that pH tests may not be reliable when testing extremely soft water, but I think that may be more for RODI water, I’m not sure. Maybe dose with seachem prime each day to lock up some of the nitrates until you get to the bottom of this.
My nitrates are usually at that level. I think a big part is my fertilization regiment. Which I have since toned back quite a bit. I haven’t had any major issues since, though I am facing some strange behavior which I will create a new thread about. Thank you

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom