Multiple cherry shrimp dropping eggs

Cameron2585

Exactly 7 days ago now I added 27 yellow cherry shrimp into my paludariums. On the second day of adding them to my paludarium I found the first molt on the sand up by the glass and less than an hour after I noticed a female carrying eggs already. By the 4th/5th day I had 4 females carrying eggs but 2 of them had started dropping them slowly and now on the 7th day 3 of my females only have 1 egg each and the 4th female has dropped a lot but she still has about 10-15 eggs. I don't know about the shrimps age but I'm assuming it's not due to young age since I've had atleast 3 out of 4 shrimp drop their eggs. The shrimp are all active and they even swim up the waterfall in my paludarium sometimes but they don't do it that often anymore, maybe one shrimp in a day whereas in the first 2 days they were constantly up and down, sometimes even 3 shrimp on the waterfall at once. Today 5 minutes after I added food there's about 20 shrimp in the bowl now and they're all eating so there aren't any obvious signs of distress or anything. So far I've fed them cucumber once, snowflake pellets and Sk colour. I've only got 4 assassin snails other than the shrimp (1 of which is fully black which I found quite cool, I've not seen a fully black assassin snail before) Is there something wrong with my water or is this because they're still new to the tank?

Water parameters: ( I am using test strips so they might not be entirely accurate)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
GH: 4 dH
KH:3 dH
pH: 6.6
CO2: 20mg/l

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_144017.jpg
    IMG_20220222_144017.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220220_165710.jpg
    IMG_20220220_165710.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 20

SamMe

Sorry, no answers just want to say I love your tank. :)

SotaAquatics

In my experience, I would guess because they were new to the tank. Often shrimp molt with big water changes or new aquariums so while they may have berried, the may not have been... prepared for it in some way or other. I would guess next round they will be highly successful and wont be dropping eggs.

richiep

Your gh and ph are to low for these shrimp, the gh needs to be up at 8 and ph7
Youll find with the gh so low they will have moults issues and start dying
Do you do water changes? I take it there's no filter
It really is a beautiful tank but I'm not sure its going to be shrimp friendly
I also wonder if they were berried when you put them in and shock as made them loose eggs on a forced molt.
Did you drip acclimate them?

Cameron2585

Your gh and ph are to low for these shrimp, the gh needs to be up at 8 and ph7
Youll find with the gh so low they will have moults issues and start dying
Do you do water changes? I take it there's no filter
It really is a beautiful tank but I'm not sure its going to be shrimp friendly
I also wonder if they were berried when you put them in and shock as made them loose eggs on a forced molt.
Did you drip acclimate them?
I'm running an external 850L/hr filter and I do small water changes but I mostly just top up the water level since I've got quite a bit of condensation.
I did drip acclimate but only for 30 minutes and none of the females were actually buried when I got them
Should I just get some crushed coral to sort out my pH and see how they do next round?

richiep

Have a look at seechem equilibrium that should do the both but do it slowly, its possible you may loose a few more but don't do any drastic except raising the ph and gh
Hopefully the ones that have just molted should do ok

Cameron2585

I've had a female who's been carrying eggs for a few days now without dropping any so It seems like things are fine now. I'm not sure what caused it but last night I noticed 8 shrimp mots all in one day and that's only the ones at the front of the tank on the open sand and I've spotted 3 berried females in the 2 minutes I've had to look at my tank so It seems like there's a new round of eggs

richiep

Whats your gh now

Cameron2585

Whats your gh now
I honestly don't know, I added a pinch of seachem equilibrium when I topped up my tank a few days ago and my test kit ran out so I couldn't test it. I am going to buy a new test kit before my next water change this weekend though to see where I need to go from here

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Ton1
Replies
Views