Multiple cardinal tetras with lumps on base of tail

lol

Hi, it's been years since I've been on this forum, but I'm having trouble with my cardinal tetras and thought I could ask here.

I've been noticing that multiple of my cardinal tetras have these strange lumps / wounds / deformations on their caudal peduncles (base of tail). It's tough to photograph but I only see these lumps in the same spot - the base of their tails - and nowhere else. It looks like in addition to the white, raised lumps, the base of the tail seems a bit misshapen and is darker than the rest of their body.

Out of the 30(?) cardinal tetras I have, at least 3 of them are exhibiting this. They don't seem to be especially bothered, as they don't flash/scratch, and they are swimming with the others and are eating, but this doesn't seem good... I've had these tetras for over a year without new additions to their tank, and none of the non-cardinal-tetra fish in their tank are showing these symptoms.

See photos attached.

What could this be? Is it treatable? Deadly?

Thanks in advance.

image1 (13).jpeg
image0 (15).jpeg
image2 (5).jpeg
image3 (3).jpeg

SkyShamen1

Hi, it's been years since I've been on this forum, but I'm having trouble with my cardinal tetras and thought I could ask here.

I've been noticing that multiple of my cardinal tetras have these strange lumps / wounds / deformations on their caudal peduncles (base of tail). It's tough to photograph but I only see these lumps in the same spot - the base of their tails - and nowhere else. It looks like in addition to the white, raised lumps, the base of the tail seems a bit misshapen and is darker than the rest of their body.

Out of the 30(?) cardinal tetras I have, at least 3 of them are exhibiting this. They don't seem to be especially bothered, as they don't flash/scratch, and they are swimming with the others and are eating, but this doesn't seem good... I've had these tetras for over a year without new additions to their tank, and none of the non-cardinal-tetra fish in their tank are showing these symptoms.

See photos attached.

What could this be? Is it treatable? Deadly?

Thanks in advance.

image1 (13).jpeg
image0 (15).jpeg
image2 (5).jpeg
image3 (3).jpeg
It looks like columnaris try treating them with Terramycin you can find this in vets and online ( not sure about pet stores)

Issolate and medicate the trio and for the main i suggest doing a 50% water change and adding aquarium salt to stop spreading bacteria . Is there enough oxygen in your tank because columnaris is usually caused by untreated wounds, poor water quality and lack of oxygen

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
el337
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views