Multie Troubleshooting...again

Leeman75

I'm about a year and a half into keeping Multies. In that time, I've had fry one time. All 3 (that I saw) did not make it for some reason. I have tried so many things to try to get them to breed because it seems like I'm the only one on the planet that cannot get this to happen. The water is fine, 0, 0,10, Ph 8.0. I have them in a 29 species only, plenty of shells, plenty of filtration (Penguin 350 and a large Sponge), do weekly WCs of between 30-50%, feed them plenty, and then fish in all aspects seem very healthy.

There are definitely Males and Females in the tank. The latest thing I'm wondering about is if I have too much decor in the tank. When I look at videos and pictures of other people's setups, I notice much more barren tanks and the fish hang out much closer to the shells. Are my decor giving the fish too much security and causing them to not be as interested in the shells?

Here's a pic of the setup (tank is kind of a mess with Algae and dirty glass on the outside. This is before I had cleaned it recently. It's not normally this bad, though there is algea in the tank):

You must be registered to see images

carsonsgjs

What is the gh and kh of the tank leeman?

Leeman75

What is the gh and kh of the tank leeman?
Here's the odd thing...it's been a few months since I tested any of my tanks. Back in probably April, I tested my new shrimp tank and I want to say GH had been 6 drops (API test kit) and KH was maybe 16.

After your question, I went to test the Shelly tank and KH is 17, but GH was light green from the very first drop. I tried other tanks too, like the Shrimp tank that has had GH before and it was also light green from the start. Even my tap water is light green from the start. The test kit still has like 2 years before it expires. I can't understand my reading.

carsonsgjs

Here's the odd thing...it's been a few months since I tested any of my tanks. Back in probably April, I tested my new shrimp tank and I want to say GH had been 6 drops (API test kit) and KH was maybe 16.

After your question, I went to test the Shelly tank and KH is 17, but GH was light green from the very first drop. I tried other tanks too, like the Shrimp tank that has had GH before and it was also light green from the start. Even my tap water is light green from the start. The test kit still has like 2 years before it expires. I can't understand my reading.
Hmmm. Sounds like your water is suddenly very soft or your test kit is done with. Have you tried testing some mineral water to see what that comes out as? Thats surely got to be higher than 1 drop.

Let’s assume that your gh is actually 6 for now, which i think is a little on the low side for tanganyikan cichlids. I keep my shellies (n. brevis) at around 12gh, 10kh and 8.2ph. That could be a possibility as to why they won’t spawn.

What temperature are they at too?

Leeman75

I usually keep them at 80 to 82. Would crushed coral help GH without increasing ph too much?

carsonsgjs

I usually keep them at 80 to 82. Would crushed coral help GH without increasing ph too much?
It will increase gh and kh and therefore ph albeit slowly. I don’t think it will go much beyond 8.2 ph though.

Leeman75

It will increase gh and kh and therefore ph albeit slowly. I don’t think it will go much beyond 8.2 ph though.
Thanks! Is there a better way to increase?

carsonsgjs

Thanks! Is there a better way to increase?
I suppose you could look into using something like seachem equilibrium or cichlid lake salt. They only raise gh and won’t affect kh or ph.

Yeoy

Bit hard to tell from the photo but how many shells do you have? I'd add more. My shelly colonies always appreciated a huge amount of shells (literally can't have too many) as the fry as they mature will also need their own shells.

Also is there a lot of growth like algae/diatoms on your shells? Not 100% sure but I'd assume if your shells have a lot of growth on them, that could be impacting the eggs as well.

Leeman75

Bit hard to tell from the photo but how many shells do you have? I'd add more. My shelly colonies always appreciated a huge amount of shells (literally can't have too many) as the fry as they mature will also need their own shells.

Also is there a lot of growth like algae/diatoms on your shells? Not 100% sure but I'd assume if your shells have a lot of growth on them, that could be impacting the eggs as well.
Believe it or not, I've got 36 shells in there. They just like to bury them a lot.

There has been algae in the past. That was mostly from too much light. I've changed the light and timer, as well as cleaned the tank quite a bit and it looks way better now.

strobukm

I keep mine at a GH: 17, KH:15, pH:8.4, temp: 77 F, and they will not stop breeding! Definitely give the Seachem Equilibrium a try. I'm not sure that algae/diatom grown on the shells will affect the eggs, since most of my shells have diatoms and about half have algae. I have a few nerite snails in the tank to help with the algae/diatoms, but the tank gets direct south-facing light for a few hours a day, so the algae is never completely gone.

Leeman75

I keep mine at a GH: 17, KH:15, pH:8.4, temp: 77 F, and they will not stop breeding! Definitely give the Seachem Equilibrium a try. I'm not sure that algae/diatom grown on the shells will affect the eggs, since most of my shells have diatoms and about half have algae. I have a few nerite snails in the tank to help with the algae/diatoms, but the tank gets direct south-facing light for a few hours a day, so the algae is never completely gone.

Yeah, it's hard to keep the algae and diatoms completely away. I've been trying to be really vigilant lately with cleaning and scrubbing.

I haven't tried the equilibrium yet. I had some cuttle bone and a wonder shell and have put it into the tank with hopes that that may help. I'll test in a couple of days to see if it's had any affect.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies
Views
crypt0currency
Replies
Views
Mouska
Replies
Views