Multi tankmates?

1. dahly Member Member

I currently have two filters going on my 29, trying to seed my Whisper 20 for my 20 gallon that I want to set up.  A local member of the GCAS has multi fry he is looking to part with.  I am looking to pick them up when my tank has cycled.  I added two Julii catfish to my tank (29) today and know that when all fish are full grown, I will be overstocked.  I was thinking of perhaps moving my White Skirts, some or all, over to the 20 gallon tank to help the cycle and to be tankmates for the shell dwelling multies.  Is this feasable?  Would you recommend another of my current fish groups as tankmates?  Maybe I should just ask Dino to send me a copy of his blue prints and build my own fish house!  ;D

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I personally, keep multi's by themselves.
    For sure, I would not put them with other bottom dwelling species.

As for plans, first pour a 20 foot by 50 foot concrete pad.

Dino

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My Multis are also in a tank by themselves. They set up colonies and do not eat their own nor anyone elses fry. Just about anything else you put in there are going to see the multi fry as snacks. In a years time they will have your tank fully stocked by "Multi"plying and you will be the one parting with fry.
    They have such unique habits and I'm afraid other fish will not allow them to display them.

Yes we would all love to build a fish house ;D
    Carol

4. dahly Member Member

The 20H will look awfully empty, any suggestions?

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

How about some plants like Wisteria or water sprite that floats and grows long roots? These pic's are of the tank they were in before. Now they are in a 30G long.
    Carol

Attached Files:

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

7. dahly Member Member

Thanks Carol!

8. dahly Member Member

Looking at the "Shelldwellers" website, http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/shellweb/,  I found this tid bit:

Suitable Companions for your Shell-Dwellers
    "You can keep other common aquarium fish with your Shell-Dwellers. The best companions are fast moving surface fish, such as Melanotaenia praecox (Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish) and various Danios (Zebra, Gold, Leopard, Pearl). These fish tend to occupy space which is irrelevant to the Cichlids, although they may receive some "attention" if the Shell-Dwellers are breeding.

Plecostomus and other catfish can be housed with the Shell-Dwellers, although sometimes with mixed results. Any bottom dwelling fish must tolerate the abuse of the Cichlids when they intrude upon the Shell-Dweller's territories. The best fish to try include Plecos of the genus Peckoltia and Ancistrus. These plecos tend to reach lengths of 4 inches, which is suitable for small aquariums. They are heavily armored and can usually handle some abuse. Avoid Corydoras and Otocinclus. These fish are usually murdered upon introduction."

Your thoughts? Or do I already have them!  :D

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry you already have them. Still afraid your Multis and fry will be harassed and snacked on. Also Multis can be very fierce when their territory is invaded.
    How does the person your getting your multies from have his/hers set up?
    Just about everybody i know have multis in a long tank so they can re-arrange their substrate and shells, any chance you could trade for a long tank?
    I just measured and my 30 long is the same height as my 20 G breeder tanks. And my multis come up to the top to feed and swim around mid water to spit sand.
    BUT... this is your tank. Do your research and then set it up the way you like it while providing your fish what they need. But above all keep us posted and post Pictures ;)
    Sorry think I'm rambling :D
    Carol

10. dahly Member Member

Carol,  You've certainly helped bring me this far and to disregard your advise is just foolish!   ;)  I need to complete the cycling of my tank, actually start it.  I'm running the second tank filter on my 29 currently.  My local contact say that he has 6-10 ready anytime I want them.  I'm tempted to buy Bio Spira, add it and my white skirts, temporarily, and get the multi's NOW!  ;D  I bought some shells while in Florida at a Flee Market, and can get some escargot shells from a store nearby.  Comes with a can of snails. Oh joy!  I plan on getting Argonite sand and lace rock for decorations.  I would guess I should design territories, or should I let the fish?  My 29 looks great; a bunch of happy, active fish!  Pictures will come!

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Dahly if you use biospira you can add your Multis immediately. I am so anxious for you to get them, we just love ours so much.
    I haven't had any experience with argonite sand and when I did a search it kept refering to reef tanks,You just have to make sure it's not rough as they pick it up in their mouths. so am interested in seeing how it looks. I have Sahara Sand by carib sea, it is a cichlid sand, has a mixture of black and white grains.
    As for aquascaping it, No matter what you do they will move the sand around in ways you can't even imagine. They pick up mouth fulls of sand and spit it out, they spit it in piles as you can see in my picture, they spit it at each other. Alot of times they will dig pits and make the shells they are going to live in slide down into these pits and heaven help ANY grain of sand that has the audacity to slide back down. They will also bury any shells they aren't using. so you need about 2 shells for each fish as they like choices. One of ours kept going in and out of every shell when we first got them as juvies and my husband said it had to be a female because she was house shopping and as it turned out he was right ;) I don't have alot of luck keeping plants except the anubias I have attached to a piece of Lava rock. When I plant anything else they work like demons to cover them up. I have seen others have good luck with plants, maybe mine are just strange.
    The lace rock would be pretty with Java Fern or Anubias attached to it. I love rocks :D
    Well enough. Have fun ;D
    Carol
    PS
    Here is a picture of a pit, you can actually see the glass bottom. Do not like the pic, everytime I take a pic of this tank the pics are blue, think it's the light.

Attached Files: