Multi colors in sandbed

1. pitbull_nc Member Member

I have had this multicolor looking substance in my tank for some time. It mostly rests in only part of my sandbed which I have attached a pic of. I have a little bit of similar color on the back of my glass as well. Please help me identify this!

water parameters:
    ph: 8.0
    ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5ppm

Attached Files:

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Might be red slime/cyano. Low water flow, nitrates and phosphates help it's growth. If you want and if it bothers you could vacuum along the front part of the glass to get rid of it.

3. pitbull_nc Member Member

is it something that is bad and I am investing in a powerhead so will that help it go away

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I'd vacuum it out and then use powerheads, protein skimmer, partial water changes with RO/DI water and biopellets to help keep nitrates and phosphates near zero.

5. pitbull_nc Member Member

I have a good venturi protein skimmer that is on at all times, I use ro water, and do do waterchanges weekly but I am investing in a powerhead. Thanx for all the help mike.

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

no prob :)

7. pitbull_nc Member Member

One more question? I dont have a siphon vacuum but if i do purchase one wont it take actual sand out of my tank if I vacuum the cyno out? I dont want to lose the sand that I do have in my tank.

8. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Not if you do it slowly. The sand will fall back to the bottom.