Mulm Is Life

w3amz

Or is it?

I keep seeing more and more on YouTube and other places that mulm is great to have in your aquarium. To an extent, I personally agree with this.

What I see missing is people are giving examples of mulm buildup in rivers where the water is slow so mulm builds up in these areas. They are forgetting the fact that millions of gallons of water are flowing over this to cycle the nitrates, prevent excessive fungus and bacteria buildups.

So I built a tank with excessive waste, decaying plant matter, fish poop, etc. This tank likes to build about 5 ppm nitrates per day and green algae can't grow in it because the mulm covers the fresh algae and the plants in the tank as well. It basically becomes a self destructive cycle where plants can't grow.

It's a known fact that excessive mulm builds fungus and other bad bacteria in your tank. So why is this such a hot topic when science has proven against this time after time?

Rtessy

What does the river example have to do with this? Go out and test any body of water (except stagnant puddles, lol), but I mean lakes, rivers, ponds, still ponds, ect. You probably won't find any nitrates. This is due to a mix of nitrifying bacteria that we don't find in aquariums and the massive amounts of plants. It's not pure dilution, as there are still tons of fish and other waste products making their way into streams, eg cow dung, that we don't have to deal with in aquariums.
Too much mulm is always bad, that's given, so why build a tank with excessive mulm? What's the point of that? I haven't heard anyone argue that a lot of mulm is good, just that some is.
All my tanks have mulm, and all are healthy. Even my still pond tanks that lack filters. Those function like minI ponds, just have tons of plants, some fish, snails, etc, and water changes monthly.
I'm just confused as to what you're trying to prove, since you're only using excessive mulm. Maybe try and test a tank with mild mulm, moderate, severe, and none, then see what kind of results you get. I'd be ready interested in what you find!
To me, it sounds like you have a major issue with flow in your tank. Sure, not all natural bodies have good flow, but when you can provide it, why not?

w3amz

Michael's Fish Room posted with no comment

Rtessy

Sorry ta keep bugging you about the link, but which video in particular? It just links to the channel's homepage. And thanks!

w3amz

Suggest just look at the tank tours and claims. From my testing, I can see mold growing in a test tank by large amount of mulm buildup.

Rtessy

Do you know of a specific video? I'm a lazy person...
And I get that you're getting fungus and funky stuff from the mulm, been there, but why go for excess mulm right off the bat instead of testing different levels?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Replies
Views
Annie59
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views