Mudskippers and Figure 8 puffer tank. Would this work?

• Thread starter Schnauzergal
  • Start date

Schnauzergal

Hi all! I have a 40 gallon long tank (150l). I am planning on turning it into a brackish paladarium. Would 3 mudskippers and a figure 8 puffer work? Which plants should I try? I would love to hear anyone's story and see pictures of your mudskippers and puffers and also diet and things like that. Thanks.

wishuponafish

Well Known
I don't have them together, but I think it could work. I have a 33 gallon long brackish community tank including some f8 and green spotted puffers, and I'm currently setting up a separate beach tank for mudskippers and crabs.
As for plants, your choices are going to be limited but water sprite will be my go-to; it grows very well in brackish water and can grow emersed too so I'll be using a lot of it. Stuff like java fern and vallisneria will also tolerate brackish but not as well.

Schnauzergal

Cool! Sounds nice. Could you send some pictures of your set ups? Each time I see a picture or video of mudskippers or figure 8 puffers I am diagnosed with cuteness overload so I am excited to try something like this. I will see if I can get a hold of some of the water sprite when I set up the tank, Maybe some java moss too. Do you just feed snails and shrimp? Thanks for the reply

wishuponafish

Well Known
IMG_20200920_214410.jpgIMG_20200920_214506.jpgIMG_20200920_214425.jpgIMG_20200920_220401.jpg
I'm planning on getting some dwarf indian mudskippers soon, yeah I feed the puffers snails and shrimp but my green spot puffer loves algae wafers for some reason lol.

Frank the Fish guy

Well Known
I raise scuds to feed my F8 Puffer. He chases 'em down!. He also eats snails that I harvest from the planted tanks. I also drop a frozen blood clam (very inexpensize at the asian market). After puffy has a full belly, I chop up the rest of the clam and feed to other fish.

I have had mud skippers before too. Be careful, they can jump out of your tank, and you might find them dried up on the floor. :(:oops: They need a secure lid!

I have seen lots of folks put the mudskippers with the F8 puffer. They are too big to be food for the puffer. That will work.

Schnauzergal

Awww those puffers are so adorable! Lol I love the green spotted puffers too they are so cute! What other fish are in there? If I saw correctly mollies and killis? I wish I could get the smaller mudskippers but here in Australia I can only seem to find the larger australian ones. I think for food I will get some snails in my tropical tank and get some other frozen foods. Don't worry I have a secure lid, I am nervous about them escaping so I will try and make it as secure as possible. I will send photos of the tank as I set it up for them, curently it is set up as another tank so I will have to move some fish around. At what salinity do you keep your puffers? Thanks so much everyone! Feel free to add any photos of any of your paladariums, brackish tanks and brackish fish!

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Look at the youtube channel of Tazawa Tanks, he's got that exact combination in one of his tanks.

wishuponafish

Well Known
Schnauzergal said:
Awww those puffers are so adorable! Lol I love the green spotted puffers too they are so cute! What other fish are in there? If I saw correctly mollies and killis? I wish I could get the smaller mudskippers but here in Australia I can only seem to find the larger australian ones. I think for food I will get some snails in my tropical tank and get some other frozen foods. Don't worry I have a secure lid, I am nervous about them escaping so I will try and make it as secure as possible. I will send photos of the tank as I set it up for them, curently it is set up as another tank so I will have to move some fish around. At what salinity do you keep your puffers? Thanks so much everyone! Feel free to add any photos of any of your paladariums, brackish tanks and brackish fish!
Yeah the puffers are so cute I can't stand it! I have some sailfin mollies and golden wonder killies in there, as well as some bumblebee gobies, a dragon goby, and nerite snails in there at salinity 1.005.

Schnauzergal

I just checked out the Tazawa Tanks, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds like a nice combination of fish! How come the puffers dont eat the nerite snails? A dragon goby sounds cute! I've never seen one before.

wishuponafish

Well Known
Schnauzergal said:
I just checked out the Tazawa Tanks, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds like a nice combination of fish! How come the puffers dont eat the nerite snails? A dragon goby sounds cute! I've never seen one before.
Puffers aren't always predictable, some would say each one has its own personality. I've heard of figure 8s or GSPs being super mean and killing other fish but mine are very friendly (even towards snails), the GSP even joins the mollies in the feeding frenzy when I drop in an algae wafer lol.

Of course things can change over time, I used to have a sizable colony of shrimps in there with the puffers for a few months until one day they decided to stop letting them live. I'll have to move the GSP in a few years when he's bigger and meaner needs a higher salinity too.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
Schnauzergal said:
I have no idea, I just mentioned the channel because I had seen the combination of fish there before.

Schnauzergal

Thanks for all the tips! I hope I get a friendly one lol. I think I am a bit more concerned about the mudskippers being friendly than the puffer though. Well thanks anyway, I found a few helpful videos. I read that puffers learn to recognize faces. Do they get excited when they see you because they think you are gonna feed them? I am moving the fish around now, I will post on here now and then as I am setting up the tank for them. Thanks for all the help!

wishuponafish

Well Known
Schnauzergal said:
Thanks for all the tips! I hope I get a friendly one lol. I think I am a bit more concerned about the mudskippers being friendly than the puffer though. Well thanks anyway, I found a few helpful videos. I read that puffers learn to recognize faces. Do they get excited when they see you because they think you are gonna feed them? I am moving the fish around now, I will post on here now and then as I am setting up the tank for them. Thanks for all the help!
Well even the mollies and my neon tetras will swarm up to me when I come near, but only the puffers will notice me come home from across the living room and start buzzing around as if they're saying, "hey you're home, come feed me!"
They're super adorable.

Schnauzergal

awww sounds so sweet! My endlers also go crazy, but only if I open the hood or stand right next to the tank. Since the tank would be only half filled, how would I keep the glass that is out of the water to stop fogging up? I had never though of this and I don't know how to fix/change it. Today I rehome most of the fish in the tank I am planning to use, in a few days (hopefully) I will drain it, and start working on it! So excited!!!! I will keep updating on here. I know wishuponafish also said you are planning on getting mudskippers? Send pics of that too when you start making the tank! Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom