MudHog's Tank

COBettaCouple

it looks great and really pleasing color-wise. that green plant with red spots really draws the eye.

MudHog

some updated pictures. I've taken the shelves out and moved my plants around since the cleaning last Sunday. The other two pictures are of my Tiger Barbs and Cherry Barbs that are in the tank. Only could get 2 of the 4 cherry barbs together for a group photo.

COBettaCouple

the changes make the tank look bigger, more spacious..

MudHog

yeah, that it does. I was getting tired of the shelfs falling. Seems after a while in the tank they wouldn't hold up. At first they worked great, but over time they got worse. There's also more plant movement in the tank now w/o the shelves. Every plant moves instead of only a couple as before.

I'm planning to add some more aqua ferns but will add the new ones in a group in the rocks.

new additions as of 8/12/07

(2) Green Barbs

(2) Albino Tiger Barbs

(1) Leporinus Fasciatus

COBettaCouple

sounds good, we look forward to new pics

AlisonChristine

It's a lovely tank, the colors and varieties of the plants work really well together.

MudHog

New pictures in my gallery.

My Leporinus fasciatus is very distinct in color and beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice.

I have some purple quartz that I have been having in the tank. I'm looking to find a new lot of plants and took it out until next water change. Planning on building a cave/planter out of some slate once I can find some. Also planning to build a planter out of some glass, again, once I can find some glass.

COBettaCouple

where'd you buy your quartz?

MudHog

rock collection. Picked it up from your neck of the woods. When I was in grade school we vacationed to CO every year. I have a number of rocks from around CO, NM, UT and AZ. I think a geode (1 open and 1 closed) would be a nice addition, but I'd have to import some into LA as we don't have any rock stores around here.

Dino

Dave, how big a piece you looking for?
I have dozens here.

COBettaCouple

I was thinking of doing something a little different with the 20 gallon that's empty now and going with a dark substrata and things like quartz pieces or geodes, maybe iron pyrite, etc.. those kinds of rocks, at least the ones that won't leech anything or alter ph or kh, etc.

so i'm looking for different sizes really. kind of a "treasure cove" theme.

i'd like to try live plants again in it, since we have more choices here in Denver than back in St. Augustine.

Any advice you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dino said:
Dave, how big a piece you looking for?
I have dozens here.

MudHog

New Additions 11-24-07

(2) Red Glass Barbs

(2) Black Mystery Snail

following morning: I have a mystery mystery snail. Last night I put (2) snails in the tank. Wake up this morning and I can not find one of them. Now I see why they are called mystery snails.

new pictures in my gallery.

King_Snuggles

Wow a very pretty tank.

Wolfgang8810

looks great! Do the tiger barbs bother the cherrys?

MudHog

not one bit, they all get along together.

My tiger barbs have picked on the Red Glass Barbs when I first put them in, but they have since gotten along.

new album (Rocks in my 39G Freshwater Tank) with pictures in it. Shows the different rocsks I have in my tank. All but the slag glass are from my personal rock collection over the years and from the CO/NM areas.

metal_fish

I'm sorry to say this but your Leporinus will quickly out grow your tank they can get over a foot in length I had one that came with a used tank I bought and I had to sell him here is some more information about these odd fish

MudHog

I'm aware of possible size. When he reaches over grown length, I'll find another home for him.

12/17/07

rearranged everything. I put my big root and log in from my craigslist purchase. Took the small tree trunk, anchor and other rock I had out.

Wolfgang8810

that looks really cool! I tink you should upgrade your lighting then go full on planted!

MudHog

stop the madness, trying to do that but it's slow going with a wedding coming up in Feb.

MudHog

New picture added last night:

Wolfgang8810

looks awesome what do you have floating at the top?

MudHog

forgot the name of it, but it's a fake floating plant. Doesn't float to well as the roots float upwards instead of down. I had put it in there to give the fish something to do at the top level. Worked as as they will swim up in them or just hang out around them.

Wolfgang8810

MudHog

that they are.

I have 3 in the tank. 2 float correctly and the other one floats upside down. I have 2 more in the stand (ones I took pictures of) and if I'd put them in the tank they would float upside down.

jsalemi

Tie a bead or something to the bottom to make them a bit bottom heavy.

COBettaCouple

It's fun to have something floating at the top, we were lucky enough to get a bag of water sprite free at the last aquarium society meeting.

Crazy how those things float upside down.

MudHog

I had thought about the bead thing or some sort of weight, but never did do it. I was watching the Tiger Barbs and Green Tiger Barb playing in the floaters last night. Had a good 6 or so fish playing around the 3 floating plants.

I like floaters as is gives the fish something to do at the top of the tank and keeps them active through out the water column.

jsalemi

Where'd you get them? I don't think I've seen floating artificial plants.

MudHog

got it from local petsmart. Came in a pack of 5 or 6. I want to say they only had 3 plant choices.

jsalemi

Thanks -- I'll have to look next time I'm there. I must have just never noticed them.

chowes

I love the cherry barbs. My boy died so I just have two girls left

MudHog

Thanks. Mine are big and didn't realize how big they were until I recently added a couple more fish.

Newest stocking:
(1) Black Banded Leporinus
(7) Tiger Barbs
(2) Red Glass Barbs
(2) Zebra Danios
(1) Otto
(2) Cherry Barbs

peacemaker92

Hi,

Are your plants fake or real? Your tank looks beautiful btw!

MudHog

They are fake.

I have plans to upgrade to planted, but that hasn't happened yet. Working on setting up a 5 gallon betta and 10 gallon office tank, so the 37g planted will be on hold a little while.

Lucy

It looks really good, I like watching a tank evolve.

MudHog

Well, went to Best Buy to buy a Palm Z22 for the wife and ended up buying it and a tripod for my Canon XTi. Was the last day of the no LA (read Louisiana) state sales tax weekend so we saved a few bucks too. Played around taking pictures of my fish in the aquarium to test out the new pod. Nothing fancy, but now I can have a steady shot being my lens doesn't have IS. Next upgrade will be a 28-135mm with IS.

Won this last night on ebay.
This will start my transformation to live plants. Next is to replace the bulb in my light fixture and eventually replace it with a PC fixture. Should give me a number of places to tie my plants from a fellow FishLore user. More pictures to come once it delivers. Plan to put it in a pot and boil it for a couple hours.

Lucy

I love that drift wood. It's going to be a nice addition.

MagpieTear

Sweet driftwood!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom