Mud Turtle Questions

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

So I am going to have an empty 20 long and thought it would be cool to get a turtle! So after research, I decided on muddies because they are small and are hardy. So, could someone maybe give me some tips, and tell me if something on my list is missing.
    List:
    20 long tank
    250 gph filter(Submersible)
    Heat lamp (Going to get uvb bulb)
    Turtle food
    A custom made dock

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I love the small mud turtles! Are you using sand? You’ve got to post pics when you get everything set up. Is there any way you could get a thirty long tank?

3. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

No. I am doing bare bottom cuz it is super easy to clean.

4. Gypsy13

But mud turtles need a substrate to burrow into.

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Oh. Ok, I will make sure to give it some sand. I didn't know that. Will black sand be okay? And how much?

6. Gypsy13

Enough for the turtle to burrow into. And black will be great.

7. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok. Will 2-3 inches be enough? They only get to 3-4 inches.

8. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Also, I have a basking rock in there, taking up around 3-4 inches of space. Should I take it out? I researched, and I read that they almost never bask.

9. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

I also read that they should not hibernate in captivity? Is that right? If so, how should I prevent it. Thanks

10. Gypsy13

Yes they need a basking light and perch. Just because they don’t hang out on it doesn’t mean they won’t use it. Keep the temp the same in its tank. At least three inches of sand. Unless they get winter cold, they won’t know it’s winter.

11. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok, thanks. So this will basically be the setup.
    Tank with 3 inches of sand, filter, basking spot and lamp.
    Thanks for the help!

12. Gypsy13

Remember to post pics of your new buddy!

13. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Also, is the musk turtle the same or similar to mud turtles? I was considering them. Also, which one would be better? Mississippi or three striped mud turtle? I'm leaning towards three striped, because they look better.

14. Gypsy13

If you’re going to stay with the twenty gallon, get the musk (also called mud) turtle. Try to get a male. I’m going to see if I can get this right. sternotherus odoratus. It stays small. It’s curious and interactive. Hubby found some cute mud turtle tank setups on YouTube. The main thing, I may not have explained it well, is to have the sand, basking area, basking light and uvb. Filter of course. But with a turtle hide, Sand about one and a half to two inches across the tank. Hubby found some really nice turtle hides that would make the deep sand unnecessary. They’ve come up with some really nice turtle accessories! Almost makes me want to get a little Muskie myself!

15. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So are musk and mud turtles the same turtle? There are two different turtles on the website I am planning to purchase them from. I would like buying the musk turtle, because it is around 10-15 dollars less. So, if I have a big, covering hide sand is unecessary? I have a big rock on top of a tin foil box. I could cut an opening in that.

16. Gypsy13

You still need the sand just not three inches. The mud and musk turtle are not the same people just tend to use mud turtle for both. But the musk comes in much smaller sizes and are really cool to interact with. Like I said get a male cause they run smaller. The hide needs to be big enough for him to get in and feel safe. Tin foil box?

17. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok. It was a tin for alfred chicken, but i rinsed it out