Mud Turtle Questions

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by UglyAsian, Jun 11, 2018.

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsianWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering if it was possible to put a red ear slider in a bathtub. The bathtub is about 4 feet by 20 inches, and is round. I thought it would be cool if I could watch a turtle everytime i was in the shower.(Seperate box, not connected.

2. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

My son had a friend who kept a few in a bath tub when they were younger.

3. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Wouldn’t you need a uva/uvb basking light? And then I’d be too paranoid about electrocution.

Also, turtles are very messy, and they can smell. I personally wouldn’t want to shower near one.

4. wodesorel

wodesorelWell Known MemberMember

Keep in mind they get to a foot long when grown and require a 120 gallon tank. Most bathtubs hold only 40 gallons and are much too shallow as they guys need to be able to swim.

They also need to be able to fully emerge from the water in a location with heat and UVB so they can digest properly and not develop metabolic bone disease. Being able to get out of the water completely is important or they can get shell rot.

Cleaning products in a bathroom may be an issue as well, especially anything harsh.

Also, my turtles do not smell and their water stays crystal clear, but I have serious filtration on them and do massive water changes weekly. The stinky nasty looking turtle tanks that most people think about (myself included) is bad husbandry!

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So, I actually was thinking about a egg crate dock and lighting.

6. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So I am going to have an empty 20 long and thought it would be cool to get a turtle! So after research, I decided on muddies because they are small and are hardy. So, could someone maybe give me some tips, and tell me if something on my list is missing.
    List:
    20 long tank
    250 gph filter(Submersible)
    Heat lamp (Going to get uvb bulb)
    Turtle food
    A custom made dock

7. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

If you have a spare bathtub that you don’t use, go for it. If not, definitely don’t do this. You would have to tear down their set up and restart any time you wanted to take a shower/bath. You would have to scrub everything in between because of soap residue build up.

8. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

I love the small mud turtles! Are you using sand? You’ve got to post pics when you get everything set up. Is there any way you could get a thirty long tank?

9. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

No. I am doing bare bottom cuz it is super easy to clean.

10. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Yeah, it is completely unused. I used it about once in the last 5 or so years. We have a big house. (4 bathrooms) BTW, this might noot be permanent. I am planning a pond 125-250 gallons

11. Gypsy13

But mud turtles need a substrate to burrow into.

12. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Oh. Ok, I will make sure to give it some sand. I didn't know that. Will black sand be okay? And how much?

13. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like a plan! Just make sure when you build a pond for the turtle that you make a pen around it (so it doesn’t escape) and there’s land areas for it and not just the pond itself. Some planks of wood around it works perfectly as turtles can’t climb them. I would also make sure the turtle as adequate space to bury itself during the winter months.

14. Gypsy13

Enough for the turtle to burrow into. And black will be great.

15. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok. Will 2-3 inches be enough? They only get to 3-4 inches.

16. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Yes, I was going to make a small fence. I will take the turtle in in the winter.

17. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Also, I have a basking rock in there, taking up around 3-4 inches of space. Should I take it out? I researched, and I read that they almost never bask.

18. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

I also read that they should not hibernate in captivity? Is that right? If so, how should I prevent it. Thanks

19. Gypsy13

Yes they need a basking light and perch. Just because they don’t hang out on it doesn’t mean they won’t use it. Keep the temp the same in its tank. At least three inches of sand. Unless they get winter cold, they won’t know it’s winter.

20. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok, thanks. So this will basically be the setup.
    Tank with 3 inches of sand, filter, basking spot and lamp.
    Thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice