Muck From Pond - Really Bad Idea - Right?

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have a retention pond near by that has tiny fish of some kind. What would happen if I captured some of those fish and perhaps took some muck and used it for seeding material? I assume really bad idea for many reasons.
1. Muck would, well muck up the tank.
2. Might introduce a myriad of unknown contaminants.
But maybe a future tank idea for local species. Take all local plants, and critters and see what happens.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good point. I had thought taking some tiny fish from a retention pond could not possibly be a problem. But who knows. I will check.

Setting aside the legal issues, what are the fish care and tank health issues?

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
40 gallon breeder at the moment. But that is planned for another project. Currently in a fishless cycle. I expect to have other tanks in the future. Could size as needed.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes first check the laws then get an ID on the fish then research their care then set up tank. Someone on here recently did that with stuff from a steam i believe. Hopefully they see this post so you can see their setup could have some inspiration for you. Sorry i forget the name of the person that did this. Not too old of a thread though.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cool. Not planning any time soon. Plenty of time to research. Wonder if DNR would have some info.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn’t add to a tank with other fish, but sounds cool if you just add those ones. Then at least if something goes bad no loss to other fish.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agreed. The really bad idea part of this was using it as a fish-in cycle idea.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Probably not far off in the shallow areas where the little fish hang out. Might be cooler in the deeper parts. Maybe a bit warmer in the heat of the summer. Perhaps a bit cooler in the winter.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's probably just gambusia holbrooki, maybe sailfin mollies. I'd leave the muck and just collect the fish. Unless you like huge outbreaks of snails. My dad was real cheap and tried collecting plants for my first planted tank over 20 years ago. Worst mistake ever.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, probably correct
You could collect plants, but some quarantine and treatment would be advisable. Outside the pests have more natural predators. Birds will eat snails and worms, some fish will eat worms. But indoors, I don't know of any florida natives that eat snails. But florida is a hot pot of tropical non-natives at this point so I guess anything goes. Quarantine and treat the fish tho. The whole med trio, maybe some extra stuff like levamisole too.

I keep hoping to one day have time to go down and collect some sailfin mollies out back in the loxahatchee behind my parents house.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom