MTS?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just found this guy in my soaking plants I just got. I may have killed it with cold tap water. :( I put them in the tank to see if they start crawling around.
20200712_142151.jpg

AngelfishDude722

Reaction score
I don’t think you want those they take over quick and are hard to get out probably best that you killed him.

OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 1 in my 5g right now. Must be a male because I have only seen 1 ever and that is rare I see him.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
StarGirl said:
I have 1 in my 5g right now. Must be a male because I have only seen 1 ever and that is rare I see him.
They like to burrow, which is why if they take over its hard to get rid of.

AngelfishDude722

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
I think snails can reproduce asexually but MTS are nocturnal so they might all be hiding in the gravel by the time you look at the tank.

OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They haven't moved at all yet. They are probably dead.

OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I think they were just shells.

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mannnn am I the only snail supporter here?? These little guys will do wonders for your tank by cleaning and aerating substrate. If you get a couple youll probably end up with as many as your tank can support unless you get yourself a good predator like a group of loaches or something. I get being against snails if they eat plants/look ugly but these guys don't eat plants and they look amazing with that cool shell. To the point though, if you put some in there, and don't see any for a month or two, or more in my case (unless they were dead from the get go), don't worry they are under the substrate building a detritus-munching, algae-eating, tank-cleaning army! If the numbers get insanely out of hand and thats not exactly your style, you probably need to do a little gravel vaccing or algae control. If they don't have excess food, they'll start to die off.

OP
StarGirl

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheDojoMojo said:
Mannnn am I the only snail supporter here?? These little guys will do wonders for your tank by cleaning and aerating substrate. If you get a couple youll probably end up with as many as your tank can support unless you get yourself a good predator like a group of loaches or something. I get being against snails if they eat plants/look ugly but these guys don't eat plants and they look amazing with that cool shell. To the point though, if you put some in there, and don't see any for a month or two, or more in my case (unless they were dead from the get go), don't worry they are under the substrate building a detritus-munching, algae-eating, tank-cleaning army! If the numbers get insanely out of hand and thats not exactly your style, you probably need to do a little gravel vaccing or algae control. If they don't have excess food, they'll start to die off.
I have a herd of Ramshorn in there now. Its a 5g sand shrimp tank so there is very little food being fed and they are all over the place. As of right now I don't believe the don't overfeed and they won't breed as fast line! ;) Anyways I checked the shells and they were empty anyway. I do have 1 MTS in the sand tank with the Ramshorn. I haven't dared putting any in my 55g watching how they are exploding in the little tank. If I do get some for the 55 I want blue leopard ramshorn. The only snails I DO NOT want are bladders. Don't like them much, had them before.

TheDojoMojo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
StarGirl said:
The only snails I DO NOT want are bladders. Don't like them much, had them before.
Yeah bladders are towards the bottom of my list for sure. Had them everywhere in a 125, but I added some MTS to that and the MTS kinda took over. I hardly see a bladder anymore for some reason

New Threads