Mts

Discussion in 'Snails' started by prozium, Aug 7, 2015.

1. proziumValued MemberMember

Does anyone know much about these guys? For instance
    1. Will MTS eat dead MTS in the substrate?
    2. Can they handle small gravel substrate mixed with lava rock?
    3. Do tons of them actually harm anything?

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

They don't eat other snails that I know of.

Not keeping them in sand is probably not good for them. But it probably won't kill them either.

Tons of them makes no difference as long as they don't overwhelm the bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

3. proziumValued MemberMember

Overwhelm bacteria?
    Snail eating- Not even the ones that die in the substrate? I'd worry about corpses overwhelming the system.

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Overwhelm the system?

5. proziumValued MemberMember

When they die more ammonia will be produced and their corpses will be buried. If they eat their dead... less of a problem. If not I'd need to rework that a bit.

6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

If they eat the dead they will produce more waste nullifying your theory. Why would they be dying anyway?

And the bacteria I referred too was the bacteria that consumes the ammonia given off by the snails or fish or uneaten food.

MTS are not cannibals.

What are you trying to do?

7. proziumValued MemberMember

Just plan but I assume they will die eventually and it would be probably underground. Easy to miss, so I was curious.

8. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi, Welcome to Fishlore :;hi1

I don't know of this being an issue to the biological filter (the fact that they die in the substrate), since they all do it and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with this....

They live for a couple of years and as long as you don't overfeed your fish, then you won't have an overfed MTS population. They will eat algae and any other food left behind from the fish. If you have cories or shrimp there won't be much of that though.

I know I have some because every once in awhile I'll see one out of the blue on a plant or something but other than that I never see them. They are very good for sand and I would suspect very small gravel as well, keeping it aerated.

9. proziumValued MemberMember

I wish I had a picture of my gravel. .. not sure if it is small enogh

10. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

You can take a picture and upload it within the thread using the insert image (square photo of the tree icon). Or give us a link to what you purchased?

11. proziumValued MemberMember

Phone won't let me and its not a brand. It's like half the size of lentils?

12. CindiLFishlore LegendMember

That seems plenty small. Lentils are about 1/4in so if its half the size of that then your MTS should get around in it just fine.

13. proziumValued MemberMember

Excellent I think I'll add some

14. proziumValued MemberMember

Oh and thanks, it's been years since I was last on a db. I forget my decorum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice