Mts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petlorilea, Dec 29, 2012.

1. petlorilea

petlorilea Valued Member Member

You people make me ill!!! I should be enjoying a quiet weekend, but noooooooo.....I'm researching ANOTHER TANK!!! *sigh* my husband is in Australia for 3 weeks. MWAAAAhahahahahahaHA! Christmas decorations getting torn down and packed away and a naked house+3 week bachelorette=new tank. Are you with me sickos?! :) The project is to move Joker, my JD out of the Oscar's tank and into his own 55......that I don't have room for. Unless I make it a coffee table. Our existing one already has a glass top, so I'm heading to the home improvement store to see about some slightly longer legs for the table. That way there will be enough clearance for feeding and air, and for keeping A-mess (the house puma) away from Joker. Thoughts? Hints? Medication?

2. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

i'm thinking about tearing the stairs outta my house and replacing them with 20 gallon long tanks

3. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

:;laughing medication?! pfffft only cure for MTS is ... well ... there isn't one! some of us younger/still-living-at-home-with-parents-cause-we're-broke folks have parental barracade units ... others have significant other/ spouse baracade units or the ever effective couch remedy ... where you're kicked out of the bed, onto the couch!

Final is the whole living expense thing ...

..... if you live in the states, there's the PetCo $1 per gallon sale .... not enabling ... I'm informing!

Good luck! :D

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Go to Craigslist and get the biggest tank you can. Then by the time he comes back it shall be cycled, stocked, and generally made to be unreturnable, though I would not go so far as to nail it to the floor:;nin2

5. Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

I have the spouse barricade going on presently. I have 5 tanks running and another 4 in my garage and I'm going to pick up another 4 tomorrow. We have been looking for a house to buy with a basement as a must have. We both agreed that I shouldn't set up anymore because we will be moving at some point but he never said that I couldn't stock pile tanks and accessories for my future fish store basement room!

6. OP
    OP
    petlorilea

o my....if I didn't have space constraints who knows what mischief I would get into these 3 weeks! BUT, I only have room the size of the coffee table. And YES, I did take advantage of the petco $1/gallon sale and brought home a 40 gallon. I wanted a 55, but they're not available in coffee table height; at least Joker gets out of the 90 that the oscar 'shares' with him.
    I did a partial water change in the 90, moving the seasoned water (from the top) and some filter media from it to the 40 to get it seeded for cycling. I will try to catch Joker, who doubles as a 5 inch laser beam, but will likely let the Mr contribute to the project by doing the fishing. hahahahaha

7. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Who needs that sofa?:;laughing

8. OP
    OP
    petlorilea

oooooo....great point! :D
    Although left to my own devices I actually COULD satisfy my yearning for a tall hex for an angel tank. Blasted petco sales!
    Wait: didn't I say I only had room for coffee table sized aquarium :;group
    sounds like I'm having a group debate in my head!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    petlorilea

aquarium.jpg
    Here's how the coffee table looks today. It's a 40 gallon tank sitting on the floor with a glass top coffee table 2 inches above it. I have two 40 gallon capacity internal filters with media from the 90, a 200 watt heater, but no light or gravel yet. A quarter of the water came from the 90. The rocks are from our yard and the plastic plants have made the rounds in every aquarium I own. As soon as live plants are available again they will be swapped out. I don't really like the internal filters for the space they take up, plus they're black and cannot be hidden. But with only 2inch clearance, a hob or power wheel wasn't an option. The 'true' $500-$750 aquarium coffee tables have all that built in the sides. I couldn't spend that much....sorry Joker! Besides, I don't think those tanks are even 40 gallon. I picked up some Buenos Aires tetras since I couldn't catch Joker. Including them, I have spent $170. buenos aires.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice