MTS vs Rabbit Snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by SugarJunkee, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkeeValued MemberMember

We brought home 4 rabbit snails, as labeled at the LFS. They look a lot like pics of malaysian trumpets, but I'm not sure how to tell them apart. If I were to come across some MTS, would the two species be compatible? I wondered if they'd be beneficial for our planted tank w/tahitian moon sand, but also would want to know how many would be a safe number or which snails I should stick with.

Thanks guys!

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I have heard of great battles between rabbit snails and MTS. The rabbit snails are very territorial.

Yes, the snails look similar, especially if the rabbit is small. But it will get significantly larger than a trumpet snail.

I was just kidding about the snails fighting ;)

3. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I know MTS are good for keeping movement in your sanded tanks. I don't think we get rabbits over here. With most snails you only nee4 5, maybe 10 and they will breed out of control anyway. I.e. buy less than you need.

4. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

MTS will not eat your plants. Rabbit snails will. MTS breed very readily but rabbit snails, also known as Tylomelania snails, breed more slowly.

5. OP
    OP
    SugarJunkee

SugarJunkeeValued MemberMember

Hmm, do the rabbits eat the plants to the point of being an issue? Right now they are in the 20 long with a few java ferns, cabomba, kleiner bar, an aponogeton, and a pair of corkscrew val. I have a 5 gal with a few annubias if it would be better to put the rabbits in there and get some MTS for the 20 long.

:still envisioning an epic snail battle between rabbits and malaysians, both sides using a few stray pond snails as pawns in their schemes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice