mts strikes again

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by scotty b, Dec 31, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i was at a lfs to pick up a filter and i saw 2 bettas that i couldn't help but get , they are in 2 separate 3 gallon holding chambers on my 55 gallon wile i cycle a 20 tall for then :;smack

2. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Congratulations on your new fish :) don't forget the pictures :)

3. OP
    OP
    scotty b

4. Magoo

Is he an elephant ear? He's so pretty :)

5. OP
    OP
    scotty b

yes he is hes barely 1'' yet,. the other was sold as a round elephant ear what ever that is :confused:

6. Magoo

I've not heard of round elephant ear unless it relates to his fins probably does :)

Are they both the same colour?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    scotty b

he dosent have the ears looks more like a half giant to me ,. he is black, red and metallic copper colored,. he ran from the camera lol

8. Magoo

Lol I struggle to get pictures of one of my boys :) he sounds beautiful though :)

9. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

He is a little beauty.

10. OP
    OP
    scotty b

the one i havent got a pic of made a giant bubble nest and i have a female should i try and breed one batch of fry ? i can rigg up a drip system fairly easy

11. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Before doing anything, I would answer the following questions:

1. Do I have the space to raise lots of Betta Frys?
    2. Do I have the time to care of all the Betta Frys?
    3. Do I have a plan for all the Betta frys when they grow up? When I say a plan, is it 100 percent set in stone?
    4. Do I have a contingency plan if my first plan didn't pan out?
    5. Do I have food for the Betta frys?
    6. Why do I want to breed them?

12. OP
    OP
    scotty b

i can rigg up a drip system in half a day, i know a lot of the shops will buy/take them as donations, i have powdered fry food and can get/grow brine shrimp, i would want to breed them because i think it would be fun to watch them grow and see the life cycle of bettas first hand

13. OP
    OP
    scotty b

the one betta seems perfectly content in the 3 gallon tank will it be all right to make it his home?

14. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I think the 3 gallon should be okay. I wouldn't go any smaller than that. Beats the heck out of those 1/2 gallon "decorator" tanks they sell.

15. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Give the 3gal a try if he acts "normal" enough then he should be happy, heck 3gal is better than the cup lol.

16. kellyiswicked

kellyiswicked Valued Member Member

If you do have a male and female betta, I would wager that the female would be more than comfortable in a 3g. In my experience they stay quite small and since they aren't very active...

One thought about breeding bettas, if you're still considering it - I was reading up on it out of curiosity, and a big thing to consider is that once you can sex the fry, the males need to be separated as soon as possible. So you would need containers for every living male. I was just picturing my kitchen filled with nano tanks... that was enough to turn me off.

17. OP
    OP
    scotty b

im thinking ill set up a 5-10 gallon for the purple betta and keep thee other male in the 3 gallon tank

18. Magoo

Sounds like a plan to me Scotty :) have you managed to take a picture of the other boy yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice