Help Mts Snails Floating

Eric14123456789

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got up earlier this morning and when I looked into my tank I saw about 10-15 of the baby MTS snails floating at the surface. Does that mean they are dead or is that just something that they like to do? I've never seen any of them float before today.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Normal behavior. They do this for 2 reasons. To skim the surface of the water for food, and to get some air. My ramshorn snails do this all the time.

Suzanne2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If they are floating Upside down with there foot up and the shell down in the water it's totally normal as @Dave125g said.

But if they are floating right side up and their foot is not visible or is just sticking out with no movement they could be dead. That said if you suspect they are dead scoop one out with a spoon and smell it, you will know they are dead because they will stink.

Hopefully they are just enjoying a snack at the waters surface.

Eric14123456789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Normal behavior. They do this for 2 reasons. To skim the surface of the water for food, and to get some air. My ramshorn snails do this all the time.
If they are floating Upside down with there foot up and the shell down in the water it's totally normal as @Dave125g said.

But if they are floating right side up and their foot is not visible or is just sticking out with no movement they could be dead. That said if you suspect they are dead scoop one out with a spoon and smell it, you will know they are dead because they will stink.

Hopefully they are just enjoying a snack at the waters surface.
They all sunk back down when I checked again. That means that they were just skimming for food right?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They all sunk back down when I checked again. That means that they were just skimming for food right?
Most likely yes. Mine are doing the same thing in the morning and a few hours after lights on there back down foraging the plants and algae.

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've seen mine do this many times as well, I kind of just thought they lost grip of whatever they were holding onto and I'd laugh at them for clowning around its nice to know whats going on... even if it isn't as fun.

Eric14123456789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most likely yes. Mine are doing the same thing in the morning and a few hours after lights on there back down foraging the plants and algae.
I've seen mine do this many times as well, I kind of just thought they lost grip of whatever they were holding onto and I'd laugh at them for clowning around its nice to know whats going on... even if it isn't as fun.
Thank you guys!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom