Mts & Ramshorn Snails.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Yeah, it’s possible. Many people have them in the same tanks.

Hunter1

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
No snail expert but I had a 5 with nothing but some hornwort in it. As I removed snails from other tanks I added em to the 5, both MTS and ramshorns.

Over a month or 2, the tank cycled. I feed a large pinch of flake 2Xs a week. Just noticed I have 12-15 large ramshorns, don’t even see any mts’s.

Not even many little ramshorns. Maybe not enough food? At one time I had 100s of little ones and eggs everywhere.

OP
Harlee

Harlee

Reactions
Thanks ! I hope they are able to breed in the same tank. If in a week or two I notice there isn’t any eggs/babies I will probably get a different tank to separate them in I put two algae wafers in so there is definitely enough food there is only two of each snails in there right now.

Hunter1

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Based on my experience, they will breed, plenty.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Harlee said:
Thanks ! I hope they are able to breed in the same tank. If in a week or two I notice there isn’t any eggs/babies I will probably get a different tank to separate them in I put two algae wafers in so there is definitely enough food there is only two of each snails in there right now.
Seperating them afterwards will be quite a job. Be careful they won't overrun you

OP
Harlee

Harlee

Reactions
DoubleDutch said:
Seperating them afterwards will be quite a job. Be careful they won't overrun you
Yeah lol I have them in their own tank right now !

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Harlee said:
Yeah lol I have them in their own tank right now !
Hahahaha this is funny. Was searching this thread but cause you reacted it went up in the list. Just made this pic.that I wanted to show hahaha.
722f4979d12dfff6bb252cdb6c355b32.jpg

OP
Harlee

Harlee

Reactions
DoubleDutch said:
Hahahaha this is funny. Was searching this thread but cause you reacted it went up in the list. Just made this pic.that I wanted to show hahaha.
722f4979d12dfff6bb252cdb6c355b32.jpg
Hahah. I’m surprised that the 4 I got are so active I’ve heard it can take a week for them to start moving.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 2.5 gallon jar for my ramshorn snails. I actually feed them mostly lettuce and occasionally a pinch of fish flakes or crisps and occasionally blood or tubifex worms. Once in a while I throw in a few shrimp pellets or algae wafers. Little rascals are breeding like crazy and growing like weeds.

Once my assassin snails cleaned out all of the ramshorns in my main tank I knew they would appreciate some of their favorite food from time to time so set the breeding jar up. When I put a lettuce leaf in the jar it is soon loaded with ramshorns. I just pull the leaf out and pick off a few to feed the assassins and put the leaf back in the jar.

I added some bladder/pond snails to the jar a few days ago that came in on some plants. Only time will tell if the 2 different species will thrive together.

OP
Harlee

Harlee

Reactions
mattgirl said:
I have a 2.5 gallon jar for my ramshorn snails. I actually feed them mostly lettuce and occasionally a pinch of fish flakes or crisps and occasionally blood or tubifex worms. Once in a while I throw in a few shrimp pellets or algae wafers. Little rascals are breeding like crazy and growing like weeds.

Once my assassin snails cleaned out all of the ramshorns in my main tank I knew they would appreciate some of their favorite food from time to time so set the breeding jar up. When I put a lettuce leaf in the jar it is soon loaded with ramshorns. I just pull the leaf out and pick off a few to feed the assassins and put the leaf back in the jar.

I added some bladder/pond snails to the jar a few days ago that came in on some plants. Only time will tell if the 2 different species will thrive together.
I was looking for pond snails but the store I went to didn’t have any. & I’ll def feed them some lettuce !

New Threads