MTS Quarantine? Question 

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got a bag of MTS from Petco and I was wondering how I go about quarantining them? If they had any diseases, how would I tell? How can I be reasonably sure they won't bring anything nasty into my tank?

Thanks!

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aw, come on! Nobody? I know you all looked at this post... Don't make me come over there!

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
understand

I don't understand.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MousePotato said:
Aw, come on! Nobody? I know you all looked at this post... Don't make me come over there!
lol, Mouse!

I looked, but don't know the answer. I'll guess for you. ;D

Q them for 2 weeks, like fish.

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Lucy on quarantining them. To tell if they are sick look for these clues: do they come out during the day AND night scrounging for food if so this can mean that they aren’t getting enough food. Are the tips of their shells white and broken off, they may have been broken off by accident, but if a significant amount is chipped off it could harm the snail. This is a naturally occurring thing in older MTS with spires as long as 3/4" or bigger. But if young ones have it, then that means they were hatched in acidic water or they're diet was lacking in calcium and high kH and GH. Also look for some of these signs in your MTS. even though the MTS is not a applesnail species, it can still get the same shell problems and as them.

P.S. If I wrote something that doesn't make sense just point it out and I can explain ( It's the morning And I don't drink coffee)

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coffee makes my eyes go from this oo to this OO....lol I also would qt them for 2 weeks or so. Maybe test drive them before you put them intot he main tank with one of your fish for a week or so before you add them to the tank also....umm just don't use your clown loach...lol

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the info, guys. I kind of figured "Freddie the loach" will help keep the population in check. I am pretty sure I overfeed that tank because I just have a hard time gauging how much food is required by 17 fish ranging in size from 4 inches to 8.

I tried the "stomach is the size of one eye" thing, but they all move so fast it's hard to visualize them all!

lilFishyfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey if you ever have to many you can mail them to me.....hehehe I LOVE MTS!!!!!!!!!!

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lilFishyfish said:
Hey if you ever have to many you can mail them to me.....hehehe I LOVE MTS!!!!!!!!!!
<laugh> I will keep that in mind!

What do these guys need for quarantine anyway? Do they need a full aquarium setup with bubblers and a filter? Or can I just keep them in a tupperware bowl with a pantyhose lid?

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say as long as the room temp is ok then the bowl and lid should be ok. I just treated my betta with coppersafe and took as many of the mts out of there that I could find and just tossed them into a jar with the java fern ( bottle says may harm plants and snails ) and they have about 2 cups of water and seem fine. The ones in his tank with the copper safe seem fine to...lol go figure.

PetSmart

Valued Member
Reaction score
MousePotato said:
<laugh> I will keep that in mind!

What do these guys need for quarantine anyway? Do they need a full aquarium setup with bubblers and a filter? Or can I just keep them in a tupperware bowl with a pantyhose lid?

I kept a BOATLOAD of MTS in a bucket for a few days. No big deal, I don't think even one of them died. I just threw a big chunk of cucumber in there, and got on with the transport

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool. Thanks, guys. I have them in a two quart tupperware container with an old stocking rubber-banded on. Temp should be fine as it's still summer down here. I also tossed in a veggie flake so they won't starve. There's only about a dozen of them, so I figure they won't need much to eat.

If they are as hard to kill as people claim, they shouldn't be too hard to keep alive! Two workers at the LFS tried to discourage me from getting them. I said "No offense, but if you're over run with MTS, you are overfeeding your tanks!"

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will only be hard to keep alive if you actually WANT them...lol

jack--sos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i am over run with the devils need to hire out a clown loach lol

MousePotato

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful advice. I quarantined my MTS for over two weeks, checked them carefully for disease, and added them to my big tank last night. They burrowed underneath the sand, all snug and happy.

Ever seen a clown loach dig...?

By lunchtime today, the sand was covered in little MTS shells and Freddie looked VERY satisfied!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom