Mts & Nerite Snail In Same Tank?

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can I put MTS & Nerite Snails in the same tank? I want a MTS to help stir the substrate but feel that Nerite Snails would be better at "cleaning" the tank. Is it possible to have both in a 29 gallon tank? If so, how many would you recommend?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can totally have both. MTS prefer the substrate while nerites will go around ok decorations and the glass because they're after algae. MTS are good for stirring the substrate but reproduce very quickly, so you'll soon have a huge number. Nerites cannot reproduce in freshwater, you could probably get 1-5 of these, but the females will lay white eggs on stuff that are really hard to get off. They're the best for algae though. You'll have to supplement their feeding with algae wafers and such, but MTS will get any other food that the fish don't, so generally they don't have to be fed.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MTS can produce babies by just themselves right? So if I get one, it will continually reproduce? Do Nerites come out of the tank? Originally I didn't want them for that reason lol

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honestly I'm not sure if you need one or two, some say just one, some say you need two just to have an exchange of genetic information before they reproduce. Nerites will climb somewhat out of the water sometimes, I've been told it's because they are trying to replicate high tide and low tide, time out and in the water. I have had one escape and pass, but I think I let the nitrates get a little too high. I had had that one several months, and it would climb about an inch out of the water for a few hours (funnily enough, it did match the tides) then go back in. I have one that just goes half in the water half out, and another that doesn't bother to leave at all. If you have a lid, you're good, if you don't, you're probably fine.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll start with one MTS and see how it goes, unless you suggest more for the substrate. I do have a lid but I didn't know if they could climb out of the wholes in it (it's one of the cheap ones that came with a kit and has the feeding holes and larger holes for the filter). I think I'll try for two Nerites first and see how they do.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there other snails that are good algae eaters besides the Nerites? I just don't want anything huge and something that won't breed and take over but I've really only heard of Nerites

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think nerites are really the only ones to be honest. Also I doubt they could climb out the feeding hole, since they would have to go upside down even for a little, and I doubt they'd be that determined. And good starting plan.

ELON MOLLUSK

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’d agree wit Rtessy , go with the nerites to play it safe . They will not reproduce in freshwater where as mts will because they are parthenogenic and may quickly over run your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom