Ms. Pac-man frog!

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is Fubar, my not-so-little Pac-Man (Argentine horned) frog. She's a lovely little thing, isn't she?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh My God! I've never seen a frog like this! LOL ;D it's so cool! It looks like it's smiling. How large is it?

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, when I got her a few years ago, she could sit on a fifty-cent piece. Now she would fill my hand if I held her (about three inches in diameter?). She can get as big as 15cm (or 6") in diameter. It is said that they consist of two main parts: a mouth and a stomach.
She eats crickets mainly, but would eat feeder goldfish and baby mice if I were hard-hearted. I just can't do it, so I buy about two dozen large crickets every week to fill her up. Sometimes, like this evening, I catch several of the big ugly black crickets that live under my birdbath and give them to her as a treat. (No, no pesticides or anything in our yard.....)
Fubar has teeth, and would bite me if I got my fingers too close to her mouth. Anything that moves is food, in her eyes. So, like my fish, she is not a pet to be cuddled and held, but one to observe and love for her own unique ways.

S.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Really? Never heard of a frog that has teeth ??? What is the scientific name of that frog?

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
Really? Never heard of a frog that has teeth ??? What is the scientific name of that frog?
It's Ceratophrys ornata. Here's a link: http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/horned.html It tells all about them.
(Her teeth aren't real big, but they use them to hold onto their food..... I haven't been bitten yet, but it seems like it would be painful.)

S.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted one of those, but I really don't have enough room in my little apartment for the infrastructure I'd need to look after a frog as well as my fish. (I know they need heat and they need moisture) However they're definitely on my list. Very cool pics

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
poefox said:
I've always wanted one of those, but I really don't have enough room in my little apartment for the infrastructure I'd need to look after a frog as well as my fish. (I know they need heat and they need moisture) However they're definitely on my list. Very cool pics
Surprisingly, Pac Man frogs don't really need that much heat. I have never used heat on Fubar, except a lamp now and then. She seems to prefer room temperature, because the extra heat dries everything out.
I have her in a ten-gallon tank. That's plenty big enough, since they're not very active at all. Most of her tank is the Jungle substrate, and I soak it down every few months, or whenever it seems to be drying out. The other part of her tank is moss around a small-ish plastic cat food dish. I buried the dish to the rim, and keep it filled with water. That way she can soak whenever she wants.
Pac-man frogs are easier than most other "shelf pets," and fairly inexpensive to feed, if you stick to crickets and meal worms.

Sara

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That was so interesting!! Have heard of them but never seen one. Thanks!
Carol

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Charis said:
I've wanted a pac man frog. But I lack the money right now. It's on list with a pair of dwarf puffers.
Surprisingly, they aren't that expensive. I paid about $10 for her when she was really little. I think the bigger they are, the more you'll pay. If/when you do get one, make sure you give it substrate it can burrow in and a water dish big enough to soak in. Some pet shops will tell you that "reptile carpet" is good for them, but it isn't. If they can't dig and hide, especially to hibernate, they will become depressed and possibly die at a young age. Jungle litter is great for them.

S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom