Mr one eyed blind froggie won't leave my front step...

Angela_96
This morning when I came back from taking my oldest son to school I got out of the car and looked down finding a frog hes good sized too, about the size of my palm (okay hes actually a "toad" according to my husband)... anyways.. I reached down to pick him up and I noticed he let me pet him, pick him up w/o jumping away... Well I put him back where I found him and went back in the house about my business.. then when I went to get Wyatt and came home he was still there... well we got to look at him closer and he is missing an eye.. .that's why he was so apt to let me pick him up.. hes blind.
I ran him into the weeds under the porch for protection, and I don't want to keep him in the house I don't have anything to keep him in... (well don't need another pet and my husband would throw a fit) well I just came back in the house once again from checking on it.. and it literally turned towards me and I got to pick it up again pet on it and put it back down... I just hope nothing eats it tonight... I guess since its blind I will make sure it gets food everyday and keep it under that step...
Hes so cute... I wonder what got his eye? a bird?

COBettaCouple
For some reason, this gives me the urge to say "buy another tank"

MissMTS
That's exactly what I was gonna say............I guess MTS can pertain to more than just fish

Martinismommy
Poor little froggy....How's he doing this morning?

Angela_96
I couldn't find him this morning.. my guess is he is under the porch. He didn't go far all day/night yesterday. He was more out during the rain yesterday so I would guess when it starts back he will hop out then.
I heard him croaking this morning at least.

Tom
I couldn't find him this morning.. my guess is he is under the porch. He didn't go far all day/night yesterday. He was more out during the rain yesterday so I would guess when it starts back he will hop out then.
I heard him croaking this morning at least.

You have a guard toad, good for you. lol
Tom

COBettaCouple
Beware the mighty Toad!

Angela_96
lol... he might actually work against my evil mother... shes scared to death of frogs/toads... I have tried to give her my african dwarf frogs for about 2 months ago she won't even take them...
I literally made her pass out when I was a teenager throwing a frog at her.

hmmm shes coming over tomm... I have an idea

seriously.. I won't do anything mean... just scare her a little (put it in her car where she sits or something)

angelfish220
We have a garden pond by our front steps and there are always little toads and salamanders there watching use come and go. There is even Tay out there now that summer is coming. (Tay is my turtle)

Angela_96
There is a good size pond down in the cow feild, if I knew a blue heron or a buzzard wouldnt get him I would take him down there.. I really think though w/ one eye he will be somethings lunch if I don't keep him where I can look after him.

COBettaCouple

lol... he might actually work against my evil mother... shes scared to death of frogs/toads... I have tried to give her my african dwarf frogs for about 2 months ago she won't even take them...
I literally made her pass out when I was a teenager throwing a frog at her.

hmmm shes coming over tomm... I have an idea

seriously.. I won't do anything mean... just scare her a little (put it in her car where she sits or something)

sirdarksol
If something happens to it, being heron/buzzard food is better than if some idiot kids get their hands on it and kill it. At least then it will be going back into the life cycle.
Still, I would be taking care of it, too. I'd probably turn a tank or two into a toad habitat.
Hope everything goes well for the poor guy (don't put him in a car on a sunny day unless it's for a very short time and all the windows are open. Cars can heat up to dangerous temps in minutes, and amphibians don't have any internal temperature control)

Angela_96
If something happens to it, being heron/buzzard food is better than if some idiot kids get their hands on it and kill it. At least then it will be going back into the life cycle.
Still, I would be taking care of it, too. I'd probably turn a tank or two into a toad habitat.
Hope everything goes well for the poor guy (don't put him in a car on a sunny day unless it's for a very short time and all the windows are open. Cars can heat up to dangerous temps in minutes, and amphibians don't have any internal temperature control)

Oh that was a joke, I wouldn't do that to the frog or my mother... she just had a stroke about 2 months ago, I would be scared to do anything right now to stress her in the least bit.... I don't want to get another call from anyone saying they had to rush my mother to the hospital.
I haven't seen the frog in a couple days, honestly I think my husband took him down to the pond, hes bad for doing stuff like that when I am not around. The frog was blind in both eyes after checking his other eye out, the poor thing. If every tank I had wasn't full I would have took him in, and I don't have any counter space for another tank on it... and listened to my husband whine about me taking in a creature anyways... (he got all tore up last year because I caught 2 tree frogs and had them in the house and snuck them outside and turned them loos e when I was in bed)

sirdarksol
The pond is probably the best place for him if you can't take care of him. Either he'll figure out how to live there (frog food makes a lot of noise, which is good), or he'll help another animal live for another week. Either way, nature will be well-served by him being down there.

Huh... I guess that shows what kind of twisted, devious mind I have, that I presumed that someone who came up with a plan like that would actually go through with it.

Angela_96
Oh my husband was the one who said leave it be that another animal needed food too.. and said it just like that... I got pretty mad....

sirdarksol
Like I said, I'd be taking care of the frog, but it being in the pond is likely better than it being in a suburban neighborhood, where kids with too much time on their hands could get their hands on it.

Angela_96
Yea, our pond is "kid free" so to speak unless I walk the kids down there and they don't grab anything unless its w/ me looking at the froggies too only to put them back down.
the fun of living in the country

sirdarksol
Besides, kids hanging around at ponds are usually more interested in wildlife than messing with wildlife. A friend and I lived in a neighborhood full of little punks, and the nearby pond was pretty much our domain. The little rats didn't care about the place, because it wasn't guaranteed that they'd be able to raise havoc there.

Angela_96
It is sad how many idiots will mess w/ wildlife...
there is a place called cades cove near the smokies where we go sometiems, they have all kinds of wildlife, we get ticked all the time when we see the people I won't name state names but they aren't used to seeing white tailed deer and black bear and they will jump out of their cars and chase the animals....

we watched an idiot family w/ cameras chase a bear cub into the woods and the game warden had to chase them down, the mother wasn't far off... the whole family was so stupid they didn't know how close to getting mauled to death they were....

this happens every time we go there!

Narcicius
I hope he makes it down there, this was quite an intereesting story.

sirdarksol
Meh. Black bear mommas won't mess with humans over their cubs (Okay, the ones in the Minnesota/Canada Boundary Waters won't. There could be some fundamental difference between MN black bears and TN black bears.). The cubs have a great defense against stupid human tricks like this. They can climb like cats, and know just which branch can hold them (anything that can follow a cub is likely nowhere near big enough to take the cub on). Still, this isn't something you want to count on.

I know what you mean about people being idiots. In every single national park I've been in, I've seen at least one person placing his life firmly in the grip of a wild animal. In Yellowstone, I watched an idiot antagonize a buffalo trying to get its picture (I swear on all that I consider holy that the creature knew what the guy was doing and didn't want its picture taken. It kept doing the mock charges. The last one stopped about five feet short of the boardwalk, which was a mere foot above the ground, easily dealt with by a charging buffalo). I also saw a family try to approach a bear that was walking through the woods. In Glacier, I watched a guy approach a threatening grizzly (it was on its hind feet, arms stretched out in the "I'm big and scary" pose). They'll usually run, but it's not something you want to count on. I also watched a guy try to approach a male mountain goat. In the Everglades, I watched a man stand behind the biggest alligator I saw down there (not as big as the crocs at Queensland Zoo, but big enough to make a meal of a human if it wanted), telling his friends that he was safe behind the thing. I turned to a classmate and said, loudly enough for the guy and his friends to hear, "Doesn't he know that they use their tails to break their prey's legs?" His friends started looking worried, but he kept taking pictures and getting closer, well within tail-range. I saw the fallout of another bear incident in the Boundary Waters (people kept their food in a screen tent, rather than strung between two trees. They couldn't understand why the bear attacked their camp). Thankfully, the people in the group were left alone. Still, that bear likely ended up dying because of their idiocy, and she had cubs (we were staying in the same cove on the same lake, and had encountered her and her cubs several times. They tore a couple of our tents down, but always stayed outside of the camp proper while we were around)

Edit: Woops, forgot the moron messing with a snake in the Everglades. He was doing this while a classmate and I were discussing whether this was a cottonmouth (highly poisonous) or its non-poisonous mimic.

Narcicius
I didnt see the second page so I didn't see the post about the stupid family. That is quite bad. I still hope that toad makes it at that pond though lol.

Angela_96
we actually saw the mother bear, and she was PO'd.... we watched from our car w/ the window rolled down laughing our butts off at the idiots...
People around here wonder why animals attack??? duh!! leave them be! they are more scared of us than we are them!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
COBettaCouple
Replies
Views
bettafish2816
Replies
Views
Angela_96
Replies
Views