Moving...?

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I live at school with my 10 gal tank. ;D I currently only have 2 balloon mollies in it and I've been going through all sorts of trouble. I've had it for two months, thought it cycled after 1, added fish and it STILL hasn't yet. :-\ Because of that, I've lost 3 fish already. :'( Been getting it tested at Petco... finally ordered a master test kit online. Keeping my fingers crossed. :-[ But that's not my question...

Anyways, school gets out in 2 weeks. I live about 45 minutes - an hour away. How do I go about moving them home and not ruining that frustrating cycle process?
Here is what I was thinking. Putting the fish in LFS bags for the ride and bagging about half the water as well. Leaving about 1/3 of the water in the tank and taking it home on someone's lap. .... help? ???

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, if you can find one, a carrier might help with the transporting the fish. I have a clear plastic box with a cage like lid to let air in. It was under $5 at walmart. I would move my fish in that, on someones lap. Then I would drain the tank, leaing the gravel and plants wet, and put the filters in a plastic bag so they stay moist. You don't need to keep the water necessarily, as there is little of the bacteria in it. Keeping your gravel and filters moist during the move is going to really help though. Fish bags for the fish might work just fine, but they do need some airflow, so I would recommend a transport box thing from the fish section of a pet area store.

Good luck with the move, and your fish :)

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Make sure to keep all the filter and sponge or bacterial medium wet. if it dries it dies. keep the gravel and plants in aquarium with about an inch of water left it may be heavy cover the aquarium so it doesn't spill or become contaminated. Stuff like soaps or oils could kill your fish. good luck.
Mojo

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
radcliffe & mojo have given good advice, the main thing is to keep your bacteria wet and the fish secure.

Here's my suggestion on the move, based on advice given me for a possible move of 1800 miles. i'd put the filter assembly and gravel (and as much of the plants/decorations as possible) in a container of tank water that can be sealed tight so they'd all be kept wet. The fish I'd put into bags with tank water and plenty of air. those bags could be surrounded by towels to make them snug and put into a box (a cooler would be best) that could be placed in someone's lap.

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks. I think this helps. I'm not too worried about it but I really don't want to lose these guys!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amnagrla said:
Thanks. I think this helps. I'm not too worried about it but I really don't want to lose these guys!!
Yea, i understand that feeling.. best of luck with the move and they're going to make it over fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom