Moving

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My wife & I are moving house in a couple of months & when we do we are going to cut down on the number of tanks we have. I'm aiming to get down to just 3 tanks not including QT & RCS tanks. That's cutting down from over 30 tanks 6 months ago, but that's another subject entirely.

What my wife really wants to know is if she can put her Rosy Barbs in her 180gal with the Geophagus, Severums, Rainbows, Yoyo Loaches & Panda Cories. I've got a feeling the Barbs might be too nippy for the super peacefull Geos to deal with but I'm really not at all sure. Anyone got any experiece or feelings about it they would like to share?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My feelings are that they would be okay....it's not often you hear about rosey barbs being nippers. I would expect them to be on par with the yoyos?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Jaysee.

I'm really not certain about them myself, though I feel like I should be. I've read that they are not supposed to be nippers to but they are in a 20 gallon species tank at the moment & they tear into each other something fierce. There's 10 of them in the tank so I'm pretty sure it's not a numbers thing. I don't want to risk damage to the Geos as they are the feature fish of the tank. The Yoyos are all over the Geos (& everything else) & the Geos never try to chase them off. They just try to get away from the mad loaches. I've never known a Yoyo to nip but the Rosies always have a few split fins & are constantly chasing after each other.

I guess I just need some reassurance. If I don't feel sure they will all get along then I'll just have to settle for having four tanks running rather than three.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rosey barbs get pretty big. Perhaps they won't be that way in a larger tank. It's easy for a fish to be nippy when there's a fin in it's face everywhere it turns I'm guessing they're still small?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup. The biggest is only about 1.5". They are just at the stage where they are starting to colour up properly.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck Nutter. That's quite a down size. Hope things go well

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lucy. I'm down to 7 tanks at the moment. I sold most of my tanks a few months ago so the further downsizing isn't so bad. The new house doesn't have room for all of the tanks as it is so I've got to pull a few more down until I get my garages put up at the new place. Then I can start collecting again.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads