Important moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there.I need some help.Im planning on moving my tank to a different area in my room.How do i do it?Do i keep the tank water in a bucket and then refill my aquarium with the same tank water when im done moving it?Thanks

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Be sure to keep all of your filter media and substrate wet. Here is what I recommend:

Keep in mind that you want your pH levels from the tap to be as close as possible to the pH level in your tank. Although the old tank water isn't really needed as stated above, I do suggest that you save some of it so that you can immediately add your fish back into the tank once it's in it's new position. Add enough of the old water that your fish have room to swim, then add the new water. This way you don't have to acclimate your fish to new water. Then fill the tank with fresh water and it should be just like a water change.

Be sure to match the temperatures between the tap and the tank water. Remove the chlorine from the new water if it's present. It's been my experience that you can increase the pH levels with less shock compared to lowering pH levels too quickly that can lead to fish loss. Add the new water slowly.

When it's time to remove the fish, I suggest that you catch the fish in some kind of container (that has NEVER seen soap) a critter keeper works well too. I'm not a big fan of nets as I feel they remove body slime and add too much stress. Also I've had fish to be tangled in nets before so I no longer use them to catch my fish.

If you move your fish to a bucket, add a dose of something (I use Nova Aqua + )to add body slime to the fish and reduce stress.

Be sure to turn everything off, heater, filter, air pumps before you begin. Again, keep that filter media wet!

Best of luck and have fun!

Ken

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The main thing is to keep your substrate and filter media moist.

I would fill a bucket that is fish safe (never had soap in it) with tank water. Transfer your fish and filter media into the bucket, and then drain the water down to just above the substrate and move the tank. Add new water with conditioner, setup your filter and other equipment, and transfer the fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello again,

I was reading over this again and for a 10g tank I don't see a need to remove the fish period. Just leave enough water in the bottom for them to have room to swim. Get help in carrying the tank to the new spot. It will be a lot less stress on your fish!

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ken, that's how I moved my 10G. I left just enough water in the bottom for the fish, and moved it that way. Everyone made it safely, and I just added the water from the bucket, and topped up as necessary!

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Be sure to keep all of your filter media and substrate wet. Here is what I recommend:

Keep in mind that you want your pH levels from the tap to be as close as possible to the pH level in your tank. Although the old tank water isn't really needed as stated above, I do suggest that you save some of it so that you can immediately add your fish back into the tank once it's in it's new position. Add enough of the old water that your fish have room to swim, then add the new water. This way you don't have to acclimate your fish to new water. Then fill the tank with fresh water and it should be just like a water change.

Be sure to match the temperatures between the tap and the tank water. Remove the chlorine from the new water if it's present. It's been my experience that you can increase the pH levels with less shock compared to lowering pH levels too quickly that can lead to fish loss. Add the new water slowly.

When it's time to remove the fish, I suggest that you catch the fish in some kind of container (that has NEVER seen soap) a critter keeper works well too. I'm not a big fan of nets as I feel they remove body slime and add too much stress. Also I've had fish to be tangled in nets before so I no longer use them to catch my fish.

If you move your fish to a bucket, add a dose of something (I use Nova Aqua + )to add body slime to the fish and reduce stress.

Be sure to turn everything off, heater, filter, air pumps before you begin. Again, keep that filter media wet!

Best of luck and have fun!

Ken
Hello again,

I was reading over this again and for a 10g tank I don't see a need to remove the fish period. Just leave enough water in the bottom for them to have room to swim. Get help in carrying the tank to the new spot. It will be a lot less stress on your fish!

Ken
this says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom