moving

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

I have to move my convict tank because the roof started to leak near it. How can I move the fish and eggs safely? I have a bucket i can move them to with tank water. I just don't want to hurt the fish or eggs.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If it were my tank, I'd leave the fish in there and drain the water out about 3/4 of the way. Then, get someone to help you *carefully* move the tank and stand to its new location. If you don't have far to go it's really not difficult, especially if you have smooth floors and can slide it. I've done this several times with tanks as large as 55 gallons and never had a problem.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would drain out most of the water leaving a couple inches. You should be able to move it then with the helpof another able bodied person.

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

ok i think i just messed up a lot. I drained the water out and started to move it with a couple of people. The water sloshed and the cave tipped over. The fry got tossed and are now wiggling all over the gravel. Will they die? If they die will the parents mate again? Should I leave the wigglers on the gravel? HELP!! and thanks.

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

It's fine. Mom and Dad will pick them up and put them back. I've "accidentally" tipped over fry several times not knowing they were in there. They just put them back where they had them.

If for some reason the fry don't make it, the parents will mate again, probably within the next 30 days.:;group

6. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

how long will that tank because the parents are just in the cave (probably look for their kids).

EDIT: should I wait to turn the filter back on since it will suck up the fry?

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

For them to pick the fry up? I'd say within a few hours, they'll have it all cleaned up.

How close is the filter intake to the bottom of the tank? How close are the babies to the intake?

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

the intake is about 1.5 inches from the bottom. he babies are about 6 inches away from it.

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm...best advice I could offer would be to keep your filter media wet, and not to turn on the filter until Mom and Dad put the babies back. After around an hour or two, you should be good to turn the filter back on.

Have they found the babies yet? It usually doesn't take them too long.

10. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

the filter media is wet in a bucket of tank water. they are looking all over the gravel and scooping them up. it is amazing to watch them move the fry.

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like mom and dad have it all under control. Have you been glared at yet? If I upset my convict parents, dad usually comes to the front of the tank and tries to scare me off while mom does the scoop and drop:;tea

12. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

yeah i have been given the stare several times.:mad:

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Just don't look at dad and say "aw, you're so cute!". He may try to break the glass to beat you up:;banaman

14. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

:;laughing