Moving...

1. sdawn07 Initiate Member

i'm moving about 20 miles away...any advice for moving my aquarium? i have a 30-gallon & 9 fish.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Some suggestions:

Wait until the last minute to break down the aquarium.
    Put the fish and filter media into plastic bags and drain the tank. Wrap the tank in blankets to prevent the glass from breaking.
    Don't feed the fish the day before and the day of the move. This will help reduce the amount of waste (ammonia) in the transport bags. Get to the new location as quickly as possible and set up the aquarium right when you get there. Assume that the aquarium will need to re-cycle and monitor the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) for the first few weeks to see if the move causes the tank to re-cycle. If you can do it quickly, you may be able to set it back up without having to re-cycle.

Good luck and Let us know how it goes.

3. sdawn07 Initiate Member

thanks...i was reading up a little about moving my fish and it said the best thing to do is to have my aquarium already set up at the new location...i do have an empty ten-gallon that i could use as a temporary tank before i move the fish...my only concern is that i have 8 danios and a full-grown pleco so i dont know if that would be way too cramped? ??? and for how long before the move should i put them in this tank? and how long could they stay like this? im not moving until about the first of june so any advice would be greatly appreciated...