Moving!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by I love my puffer, Aug 7, 2014.

1. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

I will be moving soon and I want to know how I should transport my fish in the least stressful way?????? I have a 10 20 and 50 gal tanks and soon will have a 20. Any help is much appreciated!!!!:) thanks!

2. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    I've never moved fish before, but it depends on how far away your moving. If it's short distance you could fill the tank half way or less and load that in the car with the lid on! Or you could also get kordon breather bags for long distances, filling it up all the way and separating aggressive fish in their own bags. What kinds of fish do you have? And remember you might loose some fish along the way, but I hope this doesn't happen to you. Do you have a planted tank? Getting a air pump thats able to run inside your car would help a lot. There are different ways to move them so here are some websites for you.

This one us probably the best.
    Good luck with your move!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Thank you! It's just another house in the neighborhood:)

4. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

If it's in your neighbor hood that's easy. I helps my friend move his tank and we bought some clear saranrap and coved the top. And then you just drive really slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Never move a tank with water in it. Put your fish in the baggies with fresh air from an air pump, Put them in a tote, but don't move them in the tank. You're only asking for trouble if you move a tank with water in it.

6. A

We only moved the take maybe half a mile in the car. She said it was in the neighbor hood so I suggested keeping in the tank

7. delta5

Yeah, but you're talking about fluid dynamics verse a rigged structure that isn't designed to flex in a rotational style. Look at it like an egg. Very easy to crack, but can only take much more force from a limited axis. IE: top to bottom.

Edit: I'm not saying it can't be done that way, but the risk factor is just to high imo. Risk:reward ; water damage (prob not covered by your home inc), dead fish, need a new tank: maybe 30 minutes saved.

8. A

Yes. Good idea. Imagine 2 lazy teenage boys. The easy way and the long way. Haha. I guess puting them in the bag and putting the fish first will be abetter Idea!

9. delta5

<<< Your own reference. Notice the part in bold text.

10. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

Whenever I need to move fish (as I will tomorrow), if it's more than a 10 minute trip, I bag them in groups of 2-4 in breather bags. If it's only a short trip, I just stick everything that gets along well in a 5g bucket (or two 5gs, if you have more fish). Anything with a nasty attitude, like bettas, I stick in dedicated tupperware containers. It's worked well thus far.

11. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

For long distance trips, I like the rugged rubbermaid containers, i rinse them, fill them with clean dechlorinated water and use a converter, small air pump and airstone to transport fish.

When we got Gossimor our flowerhorn, I used something like this to transport him:

I suggest you drive like you're bringing a newborn baby home ;) hard or sudden breaking can make your fish slam around the container.

12. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Haha;) will do:)

13. delta5

Whats up with the big bump on a flowerhorn's head?

14. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

15. J

Jbangz New Member Member

I've had to move twice now within a year, given I DO have a 10 gallon tank. Neither move was 5 or less miles, all I did was empty out ALOT of water enough for my Pleco to sit at the bottom on top of rocks, and put it either on my lap (truck) or recently in the backseat of a car (seat belt needed).
    I do only have ONE fish. TAKE IT VERY SLOW, no abrupt stops or accelerations, or quick turns, AVOID ALL SPEED BUMPS. I got a little slosh here and there, but i had a slotted lid and a t-shirt over the top just in case.

Whilst doing both moves, I thought about taking him out and putting him in a bag of the same tank water and an algae tablet, but figured that now I have to hold the tank AND him... said screw it and he's doing just fine (2 days from recent move)

16. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

As Delta stated, it is a bad idea to move tanks with water in them, due to flex created by moving water. You can get away with it more with smaller tanks but it is still a bad idea.

17. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Ok. I think I'll ask my LFS to Baggie my fish. Then I will stick each bag in a compartment for like a 12 pack bottle holder after setting up the tanks at the new house and put them in the backseat:)

18. delta5

totally optional, but the less light they get while being moved equals less stress.

19. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

If the trip is going to take more than an hour or two, ask them to bag them with oxygen.

20. Dark Sky

Dark Sky Valued Member Member

Would there be any merit in having the fish in open topped containers, rather than bags? I'm picturing fairly tall containers, only filled less than half way so they won't spill.

Very interested in these threads, since I'll be making a 2hr move next year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice