Help Moving with fish

takokat

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for reading,

Due to some big life changes I will be moving across the country and I really want to be able to take my tanks with me.

The big problem is that it is a 48 hour drive if we drove straight, so at the least it will be 4 days of driving if we can do 12 hours a day. Probably will turn out to be 5 or 6 days of driving.

I have a divided 10 gallon for my Bettas, and a 40 gal breeder community tank. I really want to be able to take all of my fish with me, but am really stuck on how to get them there.

Has anyone kept fish in buckets for days of driving before? Can it be done or will I be subjecting them to so much stress they would die? Also my tanks are planted and how can I keep my plants alive?

Not really sure what to do, but I know I want to bring all my little buddies.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Put the plants and fish together in a 5 gallon bucket or 2. If you have an airstone or inverter you can use it to turn over your water. Keep the filter media in said buckets as well.
The bettas, depending on how many, could be transported in a few mason jars pretty easily. You will want to make sure to do a few small water changes and dose with prime to detox the ammonia. The plants and filter media will help a lot, but it is still a dangerous process. Keep an eye on your temperature. If you have the room, you could fill the 40g up about 1/3 of the way with water in your vehicle and keep everything in it. Perhapse a lid of sorts to reduce splashing.
There's really no easy way to do this unfortunately. Most importantly make sure you have access to good water.

Floundering_Around

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I brought fish and corals back with me from new york reefapalooza. They were in the bag for about two and a half days. Fish get shipped all over the world in bags so I don't think four days will do them any harm. If you're worried, you can drop some poly filter in the bucket. If you drill a small hole into the lid of the bucket, you can run an air line in there with a battery powered air pump (I think aquarium coop sells them or they're on amazon).
If you don't want to do that, some polyfilter and you're good to go! Just occasional checks as you drive

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For this big of a move, I would pack them as if shipping. Wrap any live plants in wet paper towels, and put in a Ziploc baggy. Bag the fish, with one third new dechlorinated water, two thirds fresh air. Place in a cooler with towels, cotton fluff, ect. to prevent jostling. Bag any filter media as if it were a fish. Take out any decor and put in Ziploc bags wrapped with towels in a box, so as not to break/scratch the tanks or the decor. You can leave the substrate in with a little water covering it in the tanks.
Good luck, I hope all goes well and you and your fish stay safe!

New Threads