Moving With Fish

Nutterbutterkay

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey guys I’m moving in the next couple of days and don’t know how to go about moving my fish with me to ensure they don’t get too stressed. I’m in Nebraska so it is very cold outside so I don’t want there water getting cold either. I have a 10g tank with 5 serpae tetras, one emerald Cory, and a nitrite zebra snail. I’m moving about 45 minutes away as well.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get 2 5 gallon buckets with lids from Lowe's/homedepo. Split everything between the 2 buckets, keep it in the front of the vehicle were its warmer. Last thing to pack and first thing to unpack. O2 and temp will be fine for a few hours.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Moving a 10 gallon? Easy.....

I'm saving for a house, but in the meantime, I am in apartments and move every year.

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets (with sealable lids). Fill them with your tank water and put the filter media in one of the buckets. You'll want to use this water to fill your tank back up so keep it in the warm car. Once there's about 2 inches of water left, scoop out the fish. I personally prefer to bag them rather then move them in buckets since the sloshing water can hurt them if they hit the bucket wall. Then put them in the car (and keep it as warm as their tank was) and drive to your new place. Set the aquarium up first and you're done.

I always leave the gravel/sand in my aquariums when I move them. Just make sure to lift from the bottom!

I've moved my tanks 3 times doing this and never overstressed a fish or had one die on me. They actually get the most stressed getting chased by a net when you're trying to bag them. After they're in bags and you put them in a dark box, they pretty much just sleep.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom