Moving with Fish ~ How!!!?????

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a very important question - how do you move with fish?  we will be moving 10 miles away from where we are now in june or july ( i want to get as much information before as i  can) and when we move we take our 4 cats!!!!! in the car with us and then how am i supposes to care for my fish too when i have to help care for the cats in the car?  we let the cats run free in the car because we have four cats and two kennels....   and we have one betta in a one gallon and my betta in a 1.5 gallon - how am i suppose to do it? should i put them  into the little containers they came in or what? i really am not sure what to do!!????  Miley :-\ :-[ ??? ??? :-\ ??? ???

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is super easy, I am doing it tomorrow in fact You just double bag them (preferably in black garbage bags) according to temperment. If any fish is slightly aggrsssive it is best to pack them alone. Try to keep as much of the original tank water at possible (80% is ideal) if you live in a cold enviroment you should put the bagged fish in a styrofoam cooler, if not a simple cardboard box will do.

Don't worry about it too much tho, 10miles isn't very far to travel with a fish.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually put the bettas in their original containers btw, it is very easy for a bag to get squished and betta to lose some fins.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thank you so much!!! also do you have to hold the container or can it be put in the back or the car - we have a ford focus - or.... Miley

p.s. wow you have to move ALL of your fish!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You should hold on to your fish. You don't want them flying around the back with 4 cats! Also, do NOT put them in the trunk. It's winter and they'll freeze to death. When you get to the new place they should be the FIRST thing you unpack and get set up. You don't have cycled tanks anyways so you can use all new water. Just make sure you float them while in their bags in the new water until the temp is the same before you release them.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - we don't have a trunk and we live in texas so its not cold but i am going to hold onto him whiloe we go so the cats don't have a fish fillet lol !! and i am worried he will get too stressed and die.... also could i leave him in his 1.5 gal tank and take the decorations out and tape the lid on tight so it doesn't come of but not over the whole - so he can still breathe - ? Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you put him in a plastic bag like even a large ziploc bag (not a used one) and double bag it (one bag inside of the other) and only fill the bag half full of water then you can put him inside of the 1.5 gallon tank but CLOSE the bag so he is protected from the cold air. Put the tank in a box and put towels or something around it to insulate it. You could put Callamarie in the 1.5 gallon (different bags) also and let them ride together. Just put some newspaper or something between them so they cannot see each other. This is the way that they are shipped with a bag half filled with water and half with air and double bagged. (4 bags for the 2 fish) Do not leave the bags open as they will be able to breathe just fine with the air in the bags for the amount of time they will have to be in there.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No, a tank should never be moved full of water. It can break and leak. A soft bag is best so if the fish is thrown around a little it won't hit the hard glass/plastic of the tank. You can use a couple of large new plastic food storage bags and half fill it so they have air space at the top. Double bag each in case of leaks. If it is warm where you are just make sure you hold the fish and never leave them in the car even for a few minutes. Just like dogs should never be left in the car on a warm day. The temp in a parked car can reach dangerous levels in a few minutes. I assume since you won't be moving far you won't be stopping anywhere. The fish should be the last things in the car with you (being held by you) and the first things out.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - also i have one of the original containers - oscars - should i put him in the rather than a bag cause hes had cars trips in it before - and we have this tank ( pic below) for when we have to take our fish somewhere or do their tanks or what ever we need it for - could calamarrie go in that then or would the bags be better? Miley - also again sorry to be asking some many questions - i knopw i am probably driving you guys nutso! well heres the pic -

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If the box is small it might be fine for walking from room to room, but in a car he will be splashing around a lot. Please use a bag for his own safety.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok so just baggie them and they won't die and they will be good to go? Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just be sure to leave half the bag full of air and only half with water so they can get air in the bag.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
should i use a sandwich sized baggi, a larger baggie, or a garbage back? sorry to be asking so many questions. Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For no longer than you are going to have him in there you can use a 1 quart baggie or perhaps a 2 quart..I do not think a sandwich baggie is large enough.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok sounds good!!! i just hope they make it and don't die! Miley

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
10mil really isn't that far, that is allmost the same distance I traveled when I brought Julian home form the dollar store.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok thank you all for your help! i appreciate it! Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!   i am very sorry to bring this whole thing up again but we are moving in 12 days  and i NEED to ask again a few hundred questions!! -

1. you all said to put them in a large baggie - will they have enough air??? will they bite the bag and make it leak???  what will i do if it leaks???   are they gonna make it??  we are going to have the A/C on in the car for the cats but what temp will they need???
i am sorry to be so spazzy but i am so nervous.  they are my babies and i dont want anything to hurt them1!!!   please help!!!

thnx, Miley

p.s. do you know how bad i would feel if it was my fault they got hurt!!???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey miley

First thing is to relax and think of how you'll get your betta babies moved with no problems.

What you're going to want to do is find a nice cooler that you can fit them in, along with some newspaper and 6 of the freezer baggies.

Double-bag the sandwich baggies so you'll have 3 betta bags that are the stronger baggies and 2 layers thick. The little betta teeth won't be able to get thru either layer, especially in the time it will take to move 10 miles.

Then you can get the newspaper and crumble it up and stuff it in the cooler, leaving spots to put the baggies so that they'll be surrounded and cushioned by the newspaper.

Then when you're ready to move them, you can put some tank water in the inner baggie of your 3 'betta bags' and put the betta inside, sealing it up so the water and the betta won't splash out. Put enough water in for each betta to move and be covered but try to leave them a nice sized air pocket.

Then you can put the baggies in their spots with the newspaper around them to keep them from moving as much during the trip.. the cooler will let you protect them from the A/C in the car and it will help calm them by it being dark for them during the trip.

When you get to the new house, you can unseal the baggies and let new air in, then put them in their tanks.

We brought 5 bettas home from another city 40 miles away doing this (but with just a regular fish bag for each betta) and all of them made the trip really well - even the timid wild bettas. You will do a great job with them and they'll be fine in their new home.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok cool. thank you all soo much!! i let my mom read them and she said your all very nice!!! thank you!!!

also i just found out - my mom told me we are moving the fish the day before we move the cats so they will be in the house and take their car trip the day before the cats. that makes me feel better!!! ;D lol. so again thank you all sooooooooo much and still if you have any tips please add them!!!

Thank you all so much,. Miley

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom