Moving With Aquariums

1. M

MyNameIsFish New Member Member

Hi! I'm moving houses at the end of the week and want to know how to move with my fish. I'm only moving 15 minutes away and I don't have big tanks.

What I have:
    - 10 gallon cycled tropical tank (I know my tank has stocking issues with the tetras but I didn't know when I got them)
    - 5 neon tetras
    - platy
    - endler
    - African dwarf frog
    - some snails (food for the pea puffer my friend is getting soon)
    - and two plants

- 10 gallon tank that I had started to cycle but haven't gotten very far into it because I wasn't planning on moving right away so if I loose the cycle that's okay
    - 3 plants

- 2.5 gallon betta tank (getting upgraded to a 5 or 10 soon)

So nothing crazy but I can't move a full 10 gallon tank as that would be far too heavy. Anyone got any tips for safely moving my tanks (preferably without losing their cycles), my fish, and my plants?

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

1. Get 5 gallon buckets and transfer all fish and plants. Separate bucket for large rocks or ornaments so you don't end up with a fish pancake
    2. Drain the tanks. The heavier the tank, the more likely you are to ruin your silicone and have a tank explode
    3. Keep filter media wet, either in the buckets or in a plastic bag
    4. Set up your tanks at the new house, fill, and restock

Hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    M

MyNameIsFish New Member Member

Thank you!!

4. ystrout

ystrout Valued Member Member

Moving with fish tanks sucks. Just did it a few days ago again

Make sure to keep your filter media in tank water.... I've moved 3 times with my fish(appartments, being young, not owning a house yet). First two times I had no problems. This last time, the water at my new apartment has ammonia, and I boiled my rocks to combat a snail problem, so I'm having parameters problems. Lost a zebe.....

I hate going through this mini cycle....,

5. R

RyanLewis Valued Member Member

Get some buckets and plain clear garbage bags with no added scent. They should make moving your fish easy.